Classical music in DCA?

Not in DCA anyway. in DCI, the Cadets flirted with brass band stuff in 1997.

1998, one of my favorite Cadets shows ever, is a brass band piece as well. Amazing stuff.

Lots of corps have ventured towards brass band literature, but for many reasons it's never become a "go to" source like concert band stuff became for a while there.

Oh, and as for the topic at hand...I personally feel that programming and performance are what sells and what makes something entertaining or not. Genre might have something to do with it, but I don't think that it's the main factor in what is entertaining or not, or, for that matter, whether it is championship caliber show or not.

Programming and performance. Be smart with what you pick, hire a design team with a vision to arrange it, tweak it, and inject life into it...and then get your members to believe in at and perform it like they're on a mission to make you stand up.

Just my opinion.

Edited by DMCK

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in DCA anyway. in DCI, the Cadets flirted with brass band stuff in 1997.

Sparke's "Year of the Dragon" is a great brass band piece the Cadets did in 97.

We did it with the band I now arrange for in 98...our then-arranger, John Arietano, brought a recording of a British brass band playing it to a music selection meeting we were having...as we had a wonderful trumpet line that year we picked it as our opener.

right, Jupiter is possibly one of my favorite drum corps songs (and 87 sun is top 3 in my DCA all time favs) but like I said the show wasn't entirely classical. First to do a completely classical show and win DCA with it was 05 Bucs. (or so I think)

yeah you're right. i hear Williams, i think classical.

The simple answer, based on audience reaction to the Buccaneers over the past several years, is that lots of people are entertained by "classical music" in DCA.

Two thumbs up!

• 3 weeks later...
The #$@# United mini in corps got me to thinking about classical music in DCA.They did it extreamly well but what about those corps that are struggling with the book?

Are you as entertained by them when they are not so clean and impressive?

How many of you are actually entertained by classical music in DCA?

FWIW I like classical music in the right venue,,but I hate it on the field.I mean if I want to hear classical music I will go to the symphony.I could not imagine having to march a whole season playing that music.

What say you?

I don't know how old this thread is but I stumbled onto it and had to respond. Forgive me if I'm digging up dead bones. Classical/symphonic/orchestral music definitely fits the drum corps and marching band field and is amazingly entertaining. I could also say that "if I wanted to hear jazz, I would go to a big band concert". That's just silly. Nearly any style of music can fit the drum corps field and that is what is so grand about the activity. I love symphonic corps with a passion! And lets face it, the reality of it all is that symphonic music probably is the most practical style of music to put on a football field or it would not be thae majority of what bands and corps are using these days.

And Ed, you had better start to at least TOLORATE symphonic music in drum corps because your corps WILL HAVE....SOME....of it in this year's show. The entire closer, in fact. :huh: :)

Ive heard ZERO DCA lines that executed Classical music well enough to be entertaining.#@$%

WOW! That's a bold statement! One that I think nearly everyone on here will disagree with. Buc's drumline didn't execute well?

***oh why do I bother*** :huh:

***I'll quit, while I AM ahead***

And Ed, you had better start to at least TOLORATE symphonic music in drum corps because your corps WILL HAVE....SOME....of it in this year's show. The entire closer, in fact. :huh: :)

I think a single selection of symphonic music in a show is highly appropriate.I just hate to see corps base their whole show around it.

I love the idea of something for everyone in a show theme.I would hate to loose members just because they didn't want to do a ALL jazz show or a whole Gospel show or for that matter a whole Classical show.

Edited by camel lips

I love classical music - why wouldn't I enjoy it played by drum corps regardless of the DCI/DCA distinction?