How to Keep people out of DCA

Funny. :) I don't think that will be necessary though. No one in our corps (with any authority to speak on its behalf) has expressed any hostility toward any corps. We're not out to "get" anyone. Our main goal is to get better each year which, if every corps has the same goal, will only help DCA. When we push each other to improve all of DCA wins.

If there is hostility toward MCL from other corps, no one has told me about it. Would I expect someone to? Maybe not. But I would expect someone to at least get to know our corps' leadership before forming opinions about MCL.

I am still hopeful that, if all the member corps actually take the time to sit down and TALK about this with each other (not argue), we can set the best course for DCA. We will have a MCL contingent at the January meeting that will come "armed" only with concrete ideas on how to better the activity. May the best ideas win.

Very well put Scott... best statement so far.. see you this weekend

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. NO ONE has yet said the basis for why these rules were proposed, and yet we have the counterarguement about why they are bad.....ergo, MOST people have already made up their minds WITHOUT hearing the other side of the arguement. IF someone came in here to state why they proposed the rules, they would likely be crucified before they could get a word out.

I haven't made up my mind - I know why I think it is bad, but I also am interested to see what the logic is behind the proposal and if it really is something that can be of benefit to the activity.

I haven't made up my mind - I know why I think it is bad, but I also am interested to see what the logic is behind the proposal and if it really is something that can be of benefit to the activity.

Oh good it's not just me then. On the surface I'm thinking "This #### makes no sense, it's a step backwards". Then the voice in the back of my mind is thinking "OK Jimbo, people going to this meeting ain't stupid. What am I missing here?" As a ex-DCA corps member and current DCA fan and supporter I'm hoping for an explaination after the meeting.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

As a reporter I've mistakenly addressed association honchos when I should have addressed specific corps directors. In two threads I've seen a theme of stating "DCA," "NE corps," etc., as an all-inclusive statement, often used incorrectly in a scatter-gun technique. Again, I've been so guilty of that, and in printed media, no less.

No DCA honcho proposed this bylaw. Whatever the vote, they will have the job of enforcing future rules. I'm sure Gil, all other DCA staff, and all the DCA corps member leaders will have plenty to debate in January and in private prior to the Rules Congress.

JohnD, DCP moderators, and many in corpsdom know my feelings on Freedom of Speech. Not one person, from any association or corps, has asked me to keep quiet. I have chosen to keep silent until now as I'm concerned I'll say something I'll regret. I have many friends on both sides of this issue.

I'm *@#%ed about this proposal and thought it ended two years ago.

Don't get me wrong -- I've been super active on this subject, and I hope others will be, too. I've received oodles of e-mail and phone calls to which I've responded at great length. I've contacted some corps leaders. I've contacted Lee regarding this and other topics.

Lee, Travlr et al. speaking out? -- I'm sure it ruffles feathers. DCA corps have been used to discussing matters behind closed doors. At least now, the leaders who do vote know how some fan$, members and staff feel.

I thank the Renegades for their sacrifices in traveling all the way to Winston-Salem, NC, and to DeKalb, IL, for the DCMidwest Championships. The Renegades were there to support DCA and DCM in times of need. That means a lot to me.

I support all corps who work towards the growth of corpsdom.

(Edited as a favor to a DCP honcho as a cuss word actually slipped right through. My sentiment and fervor remain the same.)

Thanks Cozy, you are always a class act! But please know I didn't bring this back up to ruffle feathers, it's just a topic that i thought should be discussed. I can't see any logic behind it and I'm still flabbergasted that the people who are supporting this haven't had the rocks to say something. In case they are oblivious it's making them look awefully shadey. And that's just my opinion. I think the reason the west coast people are upset is because we've done nothing but try to make DCA more fun for everyone, we invite people out every year to perform with us at LMS', Crunchy Frog, parades and our own rehearsals I've witnessed first hand the extent our organization goes to, to make everyone understand that they are absolutely welcomed here. That's why it's still a touchy subject.

Thanks for your input Cozy.

Trav

Oh good it's not just me then. On the surface I'm thinking "This #### makes no sense, it's a step backwards". Then the voice in the back of my mind is thinking "OK Jimbo, people going to this meeting ain't stupid. What am I missing here?" As a ex-DCA corps member and current DCA fan and supporter I'm hoping for an explaination after the meeting.

Well, my problem with this DCA "code of silence" is that I have spent thousands of dollars to participate in this activity over the past couple years and I am an adult, not some kid in junior corps. I have a right to know why these decisions are made and what the logic is behind them.

There wouldn't be a DCA or DCA corps for that matter if it weren't for marching members showing up and paying for the right to participate - sometime some organizations seem to lose sight of that.

But I could go off on a whole nother thread about that.

Well, my problem with this DCA "code of silence" is that I have spent thousands of dollars to participate in this activity over the past couple years and I am an adult, not some kid in junior corps. I have a right to know why these decisions are made and what the logic is behind them.

There wouldn't be a DCA or DCA corps for that matter if it weren't for marching members showing up and paying for the right to participate - sometime some organizations seem to lose sight of that.

But I could go off on a whole nother thread about that.

Right on Sara

Shawn - don't forget the aliens.

Tin%20Foil%20hat.jpg

:doh:

***back to your regularly scheduled topic***

And the probes....

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

NO ONE has yet said the basis for why these rules were proposed, and yet we have the counterarguement about why they are bad.....ergo, MOST people have already made up their minds WITHOUT hearing the other side of the arguement.

True, but the argument has been based on the effects of the rules, which are known, not the purpose of the rules, which is not.

Furthermore, I would like to know why those who do support this rule have been so silent. The days of drum corps decisions being made entirely behind closed doors is gone, whether you like it or not, and frankly to have DCA officials or former officials come in and insist that we not discuss this until it's already over and done with is rather insulting. Like Sara said: we're adults here, paying a lot of money and putting a lot of time in to take part in this activity. We deserve to have our voices heard on the subject of rule changes to this activity as much as anyone else. It's not our fault that the supporters of this rule, for whatever reason, refuse to have a discussion about it.