Cadets Open Drum Major Tryouts...

Regiment hasn't had too much trouble filling out their spots with talented rookies.

I'm not saying that its not important to be a vet - but if the corps isn't mature enough to follow someone the staff has put in that position...then that corps has much larger issues.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres also a difference between a rookie who has marched/been drum major for a different corps and a rookie who has no prior drum corps experience. Im sure who ever gets the honor of being drum major will do a fantastic job.

I would NEVER want to be a rookie DM from outside the corps. The only ones who will readily follow you are other rookies. The vets on the other hand will be EXTREMELY skeptical.

Regiment hasn't had too much trouble filling out their spots with talented rookies.

I'm not saying that its not important to be a vet - but if the corps isn't mature enough to follow someone the staff has put in that position...then that corps has much larger issues.

Is the drum major of Phantom the leader of the corps on AND off the field?

It turns out that different drum corps do things differently, and that does not necessarily make them better or worse

It turns out that different drum corps do things differently, and that does not necessarily make them better or worse

Good question...

I know when I was a DM for a top 12 corps back in the 80s, the different ways in which I and my fellow DMs were used within our own corps were quite varied. I had as many duties off the field as I did on the field, as did many other DMs, but a few had hardly any responsibilities other than their musical performance.

And it varied from within my own corps, too. Some years we had lesser experienced DMs on the podium, and as a result they weren't given as much responsibility as other Spirit DMs. It all depends on the person.

So, whatever the case, I'm sure the staff at the Cadets will utilize their DMs to the fullest within their own personal capabilities without overextending them.

Here's my argument for having a vet. At The Cadets, like many drum corps, there are a large number of successful members and a few who stand out above the rest. These few have put in a year or more, of interviewing if you will, showing that they could be a great leader in the corps. The vets returning would know this person and have high regards for them and their work ethic.

The problem I see with a rookie DM is you interview over the time of a couple of months, only really seeing them a couple of days. Now there might be a candidate that is outstanding, but they would have to be a good step above the vet for ME to consider them. This may well happen, but if it was to be a rookie DM I would have to be positive about it.

Here's my argument for having a vet. At The Cadets, like many drum corps, there are a large number of successful members and a few who stand out above the rest. These few have put in a year or more, of interviewing if you will, showing that they could be a great leader in the corps. The vets returning would know this person and have high regards for them and their work ethic.

The problem I see with a rookie DM is you interview over the time of a couple of months, only really seeing them a couple of days. Now there might be a candidate that is outstanding, but they would have to be a good step above the vet for ME to consider them. This may well happen, but if it was to be a rookie DM I would have to be positive about it.

I'll go with that. Think of it as a young Lt. who just graduated from West Point and is assigned to command his first platoon. His troops are wondering "Who is this guy, does he know what he's doing, is he going to get us all killed?" etc. etc. The difference (and it's a big one) is that the rookie officers usually have senior NCO's in their command with years of experience who they can rely upon for support and guidance (it's part of their job). Drum Corps DM's rarely have that luxury.

I would imagine the paradigm for todays corps Drum Major is leadership off the feild 80%, conducting and leadership during performance and rehersal 20%.

I would NEVER want to be a rookie DM from outside the corps. The only ones who will readily follow you are other rookies. The vets on the other hand will be EXTREMELY skeptical.

Ummmm, Kelsey Hippen, S-Dub's DM this year, was respected by every person in our corps. She's a fantastic person, and did a great job on and off the field as a drum major. Not saying anything about Cadets. They have their own things can do whatever they want. It's not my decision to make. But a rookie drum major can be great.

I also think you take a risk with a rookie drum major insofar as you don't know how they're going to react to the pressure/stress of being on the road and practicing constantly. If they've been a member/drum major somewhere else, great, but being a DM at a corps like Cadets is (apparently) ahuge responsibility off the field so you don't know how they'll react to that extra stuff.