It amazes me

Velvet Knights had fans because they were ridiculous.

Case in point:

Good lord, every time someone posts a youtube video I end up going off on a two hour youtube journey. I come out of it feeling like Rip Van Winkle.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I usually feel that there are at most 2 or 3 great shows per year, and the ones I feel like that about are usually at the top.

No wonder why you're perfectly satisfied with the state of the activity, if you're satisfied with that number. Watch/listen to drum corps from the '80s and '90s much?

Edited by Hrothgar15

No wonder why you're perfectly satisfied with the state of the activity, if you're satisfied with that number. Watch/listen to drum corps from the '80s and '90s much?

I personally can barely sit through anything earlier than the 80s.

As for the 80s and 90s there are generally around the same amount that I feel are great during those years as well.

But what do I know, I can't stand Phantom 06

As for the 80s and 90s there are generally around the same amount that I feel are great during those years as well.

Of course, the funny part about that is that the quality of "D1" corps in general, both in terms of design and execution, has improved so much since then. I mean, it seems to me that the top twelve or so from this past season probably perform as well, from an objective standpoint, as the top six or so from fifteen or twenty years ago.

Of course, the funny part about that is that the quality of "D1" corps in general, both in terms of design and execution, has improved so much since then. I mean, it seems to me that the top twelve or so from this past season probably perform as well, from an objective standpoint, as the top six or so from fifteen or twenty years ago.

I would agree, which I think is one of the reasons my favorite corps this year were more spread out than usual.

I personally can barely sit through anything earlier than the 80s.

But what do I know, I can't stand Phantom 06

Many of us can say the same of today's shows (hard to sit through). I though the 80s and 90s were the greatest time of innovation and change and you could see the evolution from year to year. Today everything is so homogenized if I was to close my eyes I couldn't tell you who was playing unless someone told me.

everything is so homogenized if I was to close my eyes I couldn't tell you who was playing unless someone told me.

I guarantee I could tell you if it was the Cavaliers, BD, or PR just from the way they sound.

Many of us can say the same of today's shows (hard to sit through). I though the 80s and 90s were the greatest time of innovation and change and you could see the evolution from year to year. Today everything is so homogenized if I was to close my eyes I couldn't tell you who was playing unless someone told me.

And I would say the opposite. I can tell more difference between the sound of todays hornlines than I can from videos of the 80s.

Drum corps has evolved past everyone playing loud and nasty

And I would say the opposite. I can tell more difference between the sound of todays hornlines than I can from videos of the 80s.

Drum corps has evolved past everyone playing loud and nasty

not that I was brave enough to post that, but I completely agree.

I can also tell corps by their pits... odd, but true.