Top 5 Most Influencial Shows of All Time

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD 1994 influential? Flipping amazing, but what did it change? I do agree that it stressed the importance of theme and the show as a single entity, though. If you'll notice, BD before this year had very little regard for theme and just played charts in order. But in '94, there was a theme that tied it all together, and in the music, they tie together all of the charts in the closer. That seems to be a lot more commn now.

Let's remind ourselves how many drumlines after 94 started high sticking because of BD's "monkey drumming" throughout their show. It became very prevalent in other drum circuits and high schools. Some say Star started it at the end of the 93 show, however BD took it and ran with it. I don't recall High sticking being the norm before 94. To this day, 12 years later drumlines do it.

In response to the original poster, I like where you're going with your idea about the '06 Madison Alumni corps, but how can we gauge their influence when the season was just ending at that point and just starting now? Wouldn't it have been better to say something along the lines of the Madison Scouts have continuously, year in and year out, shown the meaning of what a drum corps family is?

I realize I'm splitting hairs here but what I'm getting at is that if we had to pick the single most influential drum corps it would be the Madison Scouts and by influential I mean that the Madison Scouts truly embody what a drum corps family is and should be (or the epitome of what it should be, if that works better for you).

1. Star of Indiana 1993

2. Phantom Regiment 2006

3. Santa Clara Vanguard 2004

4. Cavaliers 2006

5. Cadets 2001

Honorable Mention:

Any Star of Indiana show between 1989-1993

Any Cavaliers show in the 2000's

Phantom Regiment 2005

Santa Clara Vanguard 1989, 2001, 2006

Blue Devils 1994, 2003

The Cadets 1987

All of the rest of the drum corps show ever created

Plain and simple, NO show from 2006, no matter how great it may have been, can possibly be influential yet. If for no other reason, 2007 has not happened yet, and therefore there is no proof that these shows will affect the future.

So when thinking about the most influential shows of all time, we are talking about shows that changed the activity, whether its the way we look at drill, music, concept, art, etc.
Edited by raphael18

86 BD - Confidence could still win in the new era

87 Cadets - And you thought 83-86 was revolutionary

89 SCV - Would not be denied, even with a holes at finals

90 Star - This show started the NEW new era in drum corps

01 Cavaliers - Excellence became the ultimate effect

This was fun but difficult. I started with a list of all of the shows I thought were influential in my years of drum corps (85-present). Then I worked the list down to these 5.

I think 1983-1985 Garfield would just take it.

1993 Star was big and out there, but Garfield seriously changed the format of a show, which Star didn't really do, it was more style.

And Format is always more drastic than style IMO.

My list is as follows:

1974 Sanata Clara Vanguard - A Young Persons Guide to Drum Corps

1976 Blue Devils - Channel One Suite

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - Phantom Of The Opera

1991 Star of Indiana - Music of Respigi

2006 Cavaliers - Robots

2006 Cavaliers - Robots

Can't wait to see what effect that has on the activity. Didn't Paul McCusker do a comic book on that once?

Edited by tommytimp

All of the lists that exclude Star 1993 are severely flawed.