Top 5 Most Influencial Shows of All Time

Doesn't it seem a bit early to be calling shows from 2006 some of the "most influential"? I mean, sure, a lot of them might turn out to be, but how much influence could they really have had thus far considering not a single show has been performed yet since they all finished.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you are confusing "really great" with "influential". Really great shows are just that...really great. But they did not necessarily have influence over the direction of the activity in any real way.

Conversely, a really influential show doesn't necessarily have to be great though in most cases, they certainly are. Influential shows have an impact on future show design and the direction of the activity in a tangible way.

While a certainly would rank many of the shows listed in this thread as "great", I wouldn't call them influential an any way.

Edited by Kamarag

I think some of you are confusing "really great" with "influential". Really great shows are just that...really great. But they did not necessarily have influence over the direction of the activity in any real way.

Conversely, a really influential show doesn't necessarily have to be great though in most cases, they certainly are. Influential shows have an impact on future show design and the direction of the activity in a tangible way.

While a certainly would rank many of the shows listed in this thread as "great", I wouldn't call them influential an any way.

I agree! :drool:

SCV 1974, the total musicality, two time signatures at the same time, the young persons guide drumsolo fitting seamlessly in.

27th 1975 (I think) had the double-flags.

BD 1976, Channel One Suite, WOW!!! You could do one super long song, and made the BIG snareline fashionable. (Remember, WOW 10 snares.)

SCV 1980 Changed the way the corps moved around the field

SCV 1987 Brought '"storytelling" to a new level.

Also, Etobikoke 1977 made people think even more about drumming.

and in my opinion, the bad,

anyone who had amps and singing,

Just my opinion.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I'm not sure where some of you are getting your answers (??)

To me, it seems that these are the most influential shows:

early 70s SCV

SCV 80

Garfield 83-85

Star 93

Cavies 02

Pretty much my list, too. Every corps that followed had to change what it was doing to keep up with the leaps made by these corps. The very definition of "influence."

Phantom 82 - with Libretto

We had the Libretto with the first version of Spartacus in '81, too. I wouldn't necessarily put them in the top 5 most influential shows, but the Spartacus years definitely had an impact on story-telling in drum corps.

I wonder if what Phantom is doing now is being influential. Seems to me more fan friendly music is becoming popular again.

Moreso than there musical selections is how they are telling stories. IMO, they are really pushing the envelope when it comes to characterization in storytelling on the field, particularily in the last two years. And they do it only using a balls loud hornline, incredibly tight drumline, beautiful guard, and a sick visual package. Now that is exciting drum corps.