Horn companies...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake, from what I see from you on here - there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff produced by corps that live up to your standards.

Jake, from what I see from you on here - there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff produced by corps that live up to your standards.

Actually you'd be surprised, Jake's a pretty rational and smart guy. He has high standards, so what, who doesn't (god knows I do, and by god I mean science). Why are you even jumping on what he said. I see no reason to fuss.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Yamaha:

Cavaliers

Cadets

SCV

Bluecoats

Crown

Crossmen

Colts

Spirit

Impulse

King:

Phantom

Blue Knights

Magic

Southwind

Spirit

Boston

Teal Sound

Blue Stars

Dynasty:

Blue Devils

Glassmen

Madison Scouts

Capital Regiment

'Cades*

Esperanza

Mandarins

Pioneer

Pacific Crest

Kiwanis Kavaliers

The Raiders

Spartans

Troopers

East Coast Jazz

Kanstul:

The Academy

and thats pretty much all i got

Troopers will be playing yamaha this season.

Only one hornline on Kanstuls? That's strange. Are they just more expensive compared to the other options or is there some other reason?

Only one hornline on Kanstuls? That's strange. Are they just more expensive compared to the other options or is there some other reason?

I think I remember hearing that they're made pretty much by hand, as opposed to the others. Maybe not completely by hand, but more than say a Dynasty or Yamaha.

Its not just one, though, VK got Kanstuls.

I think the Kanstul trumpets, at a .470 bore, are really too much for most people to handle -- especially ones that aren't developed musicians. You've got to put a ton of air into those horns or else the sound is going to be air and weak. They are expensive though, and I don't know enough about the low brass to comment on.

In regards to Dynasty Contras...

The new 4/4 is a good tuba. Slightly overbalanced to make the front a little heavy, but sounds pretty good.

The 5/4 tuba is an incredible tuba with an awesome sound.

However, there are more than one kind of these tubas per size and model.

For instance, the BD contras are not actually made by Dynasty. They are Wilson Tubas, and for all you tuba junkies out there you know what that means. Incredible valves, sound, quality.

Dynasty's name is on the tuba, however so is the label of Wilson.

The Dynasty tubas are different per line. They are made in many different places, some in Brazil, some in England, and some in WI.

I personally have tried four of the different Dynasty Contras, as well as the 2005 and 2006 model of the King Contras and the 2005 Yamaha contra, and both the 5/4 and 4/4 Kanstul tubas.

The best of them all in my experience for durability, sound, weight, and balance is the Wilson/Dynasty 5/4 used by the Blue Devils. After that i would say the 5/4 Kanstul and the 4/4 Yamaha tie for second place, both sounding pretty good, however the Yamaha is shortchanged by not having a fourth valve and sounds a little trashy in the upper register and the extreme low register.

The King horns in my opinion are of a terrible design. That being said, they are compensating valve system horns and stay more in tune than other horns do. AND they are easier to overblow in my opinion than the Dynasty horns.

Sorry for blabbing on and on...

And as a side note, the Cascades DO play Dynasty horns.

Is King coming out with a new design for the Contra/Tuba this year? I was under the impression (maybe false) thay had a new design for 2007.

I think the Kanstul trumpets, at a .470 bore, are really too much for most people to handle -- especially ones that aren't developed musicians. You've got to put a ton of air into those horns or else the sound is going to be air and weak. They are expensive though, and I don't know enough about the low brass to comment on.

Is the .470 bore the PowerBore line? I thought Spirit's trumpet/sop line put out some serious sound when they made the switch in 2001, was one of the few multi-key upper brass lines I liked in the early 2000s.