Vote on these rule changes

Proposed legislation for DCI 2007  

305 members have voted

1. 1. All voice, including amped voice, amped and non-amped singing, should fall under brass for execution

• Yes; specifically call out all voice on the brass tick sheet criteria
    • No; leave all voice as a general effect, and allow all judging to be in Music GE
  2. 2. Corps must end their warm-up with either a significant cut-off or single sustained note/chord at the time the drum major acknowledges the corps' show start. It is the responsibility of the performing corps to clearly signify this intent, at risk of a 1 point penalty. Penalty assignment is by head judge only.

• Yes; enforce the playing-over-announcement penalty
    • No; allow corps to play what they will during the PA announcement
  3. 3. All corps must be announced with an actual hometown. You can be announced with a sponsor, but the hometown (general area of corps hall, etc.) must be used. (It must exist on a map.)

• Yes; a corps' hometown must be used
    • No; corps may continue to use a sponsor as their hometown

I tend to like how the Cadets don't have a home for certain. Why do you need a home, sure you have a corps home show but what about the members. Most of the cadets come from the PA area so rather than just labeling one pin point area why not just let people know from your PA area.

Take for example the New England Patriots, they play in Foxboro so why aren't they called Foxboro Patriots. Detriot Lions make it seem like they are Detriots team rather than Michigan....compared to the Arizona Cardinals, the name lets them represent the whole state (unfortunately).

True all of that -- I wouldn't mind if they were from directional PA. Even the great state of PA. Whatever. I want to find it on a map.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of keeping shows within the time constraints. Listen to the Bluecoats audio from 06. A lot of the beginning is cut off because of them playing before the time actually started. It would be nice if shows were designed with people being able to hear the whole thing in mind. And we can't just include everything before the announcement because if it catches on that would just add an indefinite amount of time to each audio track or mp3.

I like the idea of keeping shows within the time constraints. Listen to the Bluecoats audio from 06. A lot of the beginning is cut off because of them playing before the time actually started. It would be nice if shows were designed with people being able to hear the whole thing in mind. And we can't just include everything before the announcement because if it catches on that would just add an indefinite amount of time to each audio track or mp3.

Except DCI included the warm-ups of Cavies and Bluecoats in every APD prior to the Finals CDs. It actually surprised me when the warm-ups were not part of the Finals recordings.

Yes, yes, and yes.

oh please enlighten us with your decision making...im sure your reasons would be so entertaining, lets stir up the masses :laugh:

I said no, no and no. The amped voice is not a brass instrument, so shouldn't be judged as one. I have always liked pre-show stuff. I don't see why it should stop. The third I was iffy about, but I just feel like it really wouldn't add or take things away to require a hometown to be announced and thus really would help progres the activity.

oh please enlighten us with your decision making...im sure your reasons would be so entertaining, lets stir up the masses :laugh:

Um, OK...well, for instance, if there are technical difficulties with amps, like popping, going out, people speaking words into them (just kidding ^0^ ) etc., it ruins the musical performance and the corps music score should be handled accordingly.

I hate when corps compeltely disregard the announcer by keeping playing and not even acknowledging him. It's very ignorant. His announcement should START the show. Feel free to have a marching warm-up, but stop, let the announcer announce, have the drum major salute, and start the opener. I think Cadets 2003 did a good job with this toward the end of the season.

And I would hate to see DCI turned into a collection of "sponsored" entities. Hometowns give fans something to relate to, and the whole sponsorship thing sort of takes away from tradition, honor, and all that good stuff.

Flame away.

Well, I voted no for that one, but in large part because of the specifics of the actual question. I have no problem witholding points from a corps for an amp malfunction, but it's not brass and shouldn't be judged as such. Amped vocals are an effect, and belong under the effect caption. Now the effect caption already has a lot to consider, so vocals would just be one more topic in the pot. How much should an amp short really hurt, in a ten point subcaption? A tenth of a point can, and often does, decide placement within that caption. I would find it hard to justify anything more than a tenth.

i think it could also fall into the ensemble category, i.e. if it was overblanced....or....underbalanced.

Fine. Two tenths, and we'll call it the Bawker Principle. :P

i think it would depend on the circumstance.....with all these sound people now, if there is an issue, but it's quickly corrected, not major. however, it seems even with sound people there's still issues, and thats when it should be noted as a major detriment to the program