Should all DCA Corps be required to include a feature twirler in their

true story. last fall while judging a band show in WV, while trying to chse the drumline, i bumped into a twirler, causing her to move out of her spot. i truly felt bad and made sure to apologize when they were done.

the GE visual judged thanked me for bumping her, because he said the minute or so til she got back in helped their visual program a lot!

:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love stuff like this.

The Govies don't have a "Twirler" but we do have "Ben, the naked jugguler" :lol:

(not to be confused with , Ben the naked fire juggler :P )

Ben is a cymbal player, until it comes to parades, then he is transformormed into........

"Hey mommy, look, the band has a juggler"

He's getting better all the time, and breaks up the down time when we are at parade rest.

I hope we are talking about Majorettes here or are we talking about Mace/Military Batons/Military Signals?

Well starting the whole Mace thing during I&E (2006) with Nick was just way too cool and hope to continue for future generations.

I thought about the whole Mace thing for I&E because i remember seeing a Mace used in Drum Corps back in the days...

PS: Scout House are party animals... they stayed in the same hotel as us (the Renegades) and CV!!

Please excuse my lack of current knowledge as I have been out of the drum corps loop for several years. Is Scout House back? Thank you.

i was refering to the need to have batons in drum corps. yes Scout House is back and very good too!

I think EVERY corps in DCA should be required to have at least one feature twirler in their corps. I think that in order for the activity to continue and grow, we need batons. Baton twirling is the key to all growth. If you don't agree with me, I will throw my baton at you.

How do others feel?

ps - I think evil is sexy! ^0^\

pss - Boredom manifests itself in very interesting ways

Yes to the twirlers but lets first introduce the idea slowly ... through I&E for instance ... so as to get the crowd used to the idea. Then within a few years when they surface on the competitive field, the sheep ... er uh ... spectators ... will already be comfortable with them. :sshh:

Edited by Brassop

Only if we can use fire. ^0^

Speaking of batons. In 1990, my wife was the captain of the team representing the US at worlds in Holland (NBTA) of which they won. In 1991 she took second (by a .10) in the solo comp at nats. She was also the feature twirler for Fresno State (and also taught their dance line and color guard).

And yes, she can and has twirled fire batons. But if you ask me, I'd rather see a high toss and catch then fire baton. There's only so much you can do besides setting your hair on fire. B)

BATONS in drum corps?

You have got to be out of your ever loving mind!

I remember seeing what I thought was a saber fly really high in the air this year at a DCI 2006 compitition and when I realised it was a baton, I got really ticked off.

It just doesn't belong.Along with reeded insterments and trombones and TUBAS.

Go join a band!

referring to Roger Ellis's earlier post...

Total respect is always due to George Parks... The interesting point is that George and Alan Smythe had the utmost respect for each other and were great friends... George always speaks highly of Alan and of course none of us would question George's place as probably the best over all major in history... his showmanship and flare combined with being a wonderful musician, leader and teacher make him the best of the best... a quick listen to U of Mass. marching band is the proof of his abilities...

referring to Roger Ellis's earlier post...

Total respect is always due to George Parks... The interesting point is that George and Alan Smythe had the utmost respect for each other and were great friends... George always speaks highly of Alan and of course none of us would question George's place as probably the best over all major in history... his showmanship and flare combined with being a wonderful musician, leader and teacher make him the best of the best... a quick listen to U of Mass. marching band is the proof of his abilities...

......and Tom, George in turn has the highest regard and respect for the current Buc's DM/Field Conductor, Josh Decker. I'll never forget the moment after finals in '05, when George came down to the field and saluted Josh, who returned the salute, which both held for several minutes.........

Jimbalaya