Santa Clara 2005

What is the big deal with SCV's show in 2005??? I loved it. Yes, there were a few problems, but it was still a great show.

EDIT: I'm referring to the millions of posts on this forum like "at least it wasn't another SCV '05" and others of the sort.

Edited by cmathis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of it is due to the 3rd place finish in 2004, and how expectations were high....then you have to factor in the replay of "Russian Christmas Music", as the 1987 comparisons were inevitable.

Personally, I enjoyed the show from a musical standpoint. :)

Personally, I enjoyed the show from a musical standpoint. :)

I love the music from their show as well, it's amazing. I loved the white pants they had that year and the guards uniforms were very nice :)

I think the problem was that in 2005 SCVs show didn't come together until the very end of the season during finals week. SCV scored and performed at or near the bottom of the top twelve most of the season before putting on a great push during the last three shows of the season.

What is the big deal with SCV's show in 2005??? I loved it. Yes, there were a few problems, but it was still a great show.

EDIT: I'm referring to the millions of posts on this forum like "at least it wasn't another SCV '05" and others of the sort.

Because it was a dirty badly designed show? Yeah, I think that's why. I'm one of those people you refer to who are happy that Santa Clara bounced back from last year It had it's moments, but it wasn't exactly a shining accomplishment from them compared to everything else they've ever done. Not mention that Russian Christmas Music felt so tacked on. I know the intent and plot behind the show, but the pacing just seemed odd to me, I know there are plenty of others who agree with that.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I love SCV. The 05 show IS exciting to listen to, IMHO. The snippets of drill that I've seen are horrible, from a design perspective, IMHO. I know that Rosander's name has been on something like 20 or 25 years up to & including 05 for SCV, but there were a few that I wonder if he really wrote - the quality hasn't been consistent over the years (the Walton show and the Not the Nutcracker show come to mind). Unless he was asked to write a "simpler" drill, and he really doesn't know how to do that.

2005 SCV, especially finals night, was one of the best performed shows of the year. The finals night performance was a flawless display of execution, especially in the guard. They were delayed due to the threat of bad weather, and the time waiting really got them communicating with the crowd. Once they took the field, again, it was electrifying, solid execution, raw power, determination, and emotion.

Look back at the end of '05 on DCP for the resounding response to their show and performance.

It was a real treat to witness such an inspiring performance after they have been ridiculed, put down, dismissed, overlooked and taken for granted all year.

~G~

I love SCV. The 05 show IS exciting to listen to, IMHO. The snippets of drill that I've seen are horrible, from a design perspective, IMHO. I know that Rosander's name has been on something like 20 or 25 years up to & including 05 for SCV, but there were a few that I wonder if he really wrote - the quality hasn't been consistent over the years (the Walton show and the Not the Nutcracker show come to mind). Unless he was asked to write a "simpler" drill, and he really doesn't know how to do that.

I know this sounds simple, but from what I saw from 2003 through 2005, the primary design problem was that the drill required much larger steps than the height of many members allowed. I haven't seen any later performances of the seasons, so I don't know if that problem was ever fixed in any of those years.

If you want to move people that far that fast, you'd better get them some longer legs.

This is coming from a huge SCV fan. :rolleyes:

Edited by ravedodger