looking into colleges

Western Michigan also has a great Music Ed. program. I know quite a few people that went/go to Western and would recommend it.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't even heard of UH until I read this thread today...

I only have because I march with 584345636 of them and they're FANATICS. No offense to them, I love them and all, but basically take the overwhelming, fervent amount of state-pride that most Texans generally try and rub in everyone else's faces, and apply it to a university.

I do like Texas, and I'm really looking forward to being there in a week and a half, but true story - you guys are pretty crazy, haha.

I think we should just give him schools names instead of arguing which is better (totally pointless) would be more productive.

It's the OP decision on where to audition and to attend not ours. So give him the info he wants (all biased of course) and move along.

It's the OP decision on where to audition and to attend not ours. So give him the info he wants (all biased of course) and move along.

Hahaha.

Agreed....I've said my peace, I'm pretty sure I'm done with this thread now.

I think it is really funny that you try to make this argument, yet you are attending the "other" good music school in Texas for your Master's.

Thats because I got a teaching job in Houston.

I'm getting my masters degree basically at night and on weekends.

No doubt, UH is a fine school and I have no problem getting my Master of Music here. But if I have to compare, UNT wins every time.

Bands are better in TX, we all know that. However, that doesn't necessarily always reflect on the teachers as much as it does on the WAY band in TX is done. Its easy to make a group of 120 kids who want to work and know how to play their instruments play well. Try doing that with a band of 30 kids, with terrible equipment, absolutely no funding from the board of ed, and whos hearts aren't in it to begin with, that's a challenge. Welcome to my high school in CT. You want the job since it seems to be so simple?

You seem to think in Texas all schools have unlimited funds and we just basically tell the kids to do stuff on their own and they magically accomplish great and wonderful things.

Incorrect.

There is nothing different about Texas kids than kids anywhere else.

Texas attracts top notch teachers because Texas pays them better.

You'd be surprised...

Okay...let me re-phrase that...

What percentage of student across the country get to student teach at nationally recognized band programs?

Again, I submit...not many.

I just graduated in May and am a new Music teacher and went to Fredonia State University... I loved it, and we have a small school with around 12% of the school population being music, and 10% overall music ed approx. A lot less $$$ than Ithaca, since it is a state school, but you really want to find the best school for YOU. For one of my MUED classes, I did a group project on Music Teacher Eduation and did in depth analysis of Fredonia, Potsdam, Ithaca, and Eastman MUEd programs. Ans you thought one course catalog was hard enough to figure out...

You need to think ahead of where you also want to settle down. Requirements for each states licensing vary widely, and even though most states have teacher license reciprocity, you need to look farther than that. Consider the qualifications of the state in general to get a teaching license and who you will have to work with, further requirements to keep your license (such as Master's degree), etc.

Good luck! :)

I'm going to take a second and tangentialize a little bit on this topic. Many people have given you school suggestions, which is great. However, I'm going to try giving you a list of criteria so you can judge for yourself what school is right for you.

1) First and foremost, what type of school do you want to go to? In an urban, suburban, or rural setting? College or university (generally universities offer graduate degrees, while colleges do not)? Private or State School? Conservatory or not?

2) Next, how far from home do you want to be? When you're a senior in high school, the idea of moving halfway across the globe can be incredibly appealing . . . until Thanksgiving comes and you're stuck in Timbuktu without mom's potatoes. For me, the 2.5 hour drive to school was perfect because I could come home on weekends, but I still knew that my parents weren't going to "drop in".

These top two might not sound like a huge deal, but unless you're happy in your basic environment, you won't be too keen on taking advantage of whatever musical/educational opportunities you've given yourself. Speaking of which . . .

3) Start looking into who you want to study with on your major instrument. If you don't like your applied music professor, you won't enjoy your lessons. If you don't enjoy your lessons, you won't max out your potential as a performer. When you visit schools, ask that professor specifically if you will be studying with them. At some larger schools and conservatories, music ed majors do not study with the primary professor, and are placed with a graduate assistant. While these GAs might be great, it can be a crapshoot from year to year. I cannot stress enough how important it is to max out your major instrument study. Doing anything less is cheating yourself and your future students. Being a better player will get you into better ensembles, and being in better ensembles will have you playing higher-caliber literature, and rehearsing under more experienced conductors.

4) Speaking of ensembles! What kind of ensembles do you want to be in? Almost all music ed programs have performing ensemble requirements. Do you only want to be in concert band? Or do you want to participate in jazz bands, orchestras, and chamber groups as well? Does the school you're looking at generally have undergraduates in these ensembles? Do you want to be in athletic bands? Some schools require it, for at least a year. On the marching band note - I came from a high-caliber BOA-type high school and absolutely loved my time in the Big Ten marching band. I also got to go to the Final Four with the basketball band. What do you want out of it?

5) If you plan on doing drum corps during your college career, how will your primary professors feel? Remember that if you don't play your major instrument in the corps, it is your primary professors JOB to not like it. College professors can be stodgy, and if you do something they don't like, you might take some heat. Also, how close are you going to be to camps? Will it hinder your ability to get there once a month? Transportation costs can turn your $1200 tour fee into $2000 or more for the whole shabang.

There are great books out there for prospective college students. One I like is "The Performing Arts Major's College Guide". It is more geared towards performance majors, but the up-to-date editions give great insight on school size, music school size, cost, scholarship info, and strength of individual instrument study.

I guess I'll give my biases, as well :)

The following schools have produced more than a few colleagues that I admire and respect:

University of Texas

University of Houston

James Madison University

Unversity of Massachusetts (UMass)

University of Illinois

University of Georgia

Northwestern University

University of North Texas

University of Michigan

Happy Hunting!