DCA Championship Contract

Anyone ever try Baltimore? Maybe a stadium at say Towson or something? I'm not real familiar with the area or facilities, but it might be more accessible to corps from the South at least, without venturing too far from the standard "home area" of DCA. It's a thought anyhow. Anyone know anything about the area? What kind of possibilities are there?

school will be in session. again that makes it tough

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is all fun stuff... and even a few intelligent ideas...

I do take exception to the one guy who mentioned that it was time for DCA to start LOOKING for places to hold the championships rather than wait for bids to come in... During my long association with the organization, I can't tell you how many long hours were spent searching for venues to bid... DCA does actively search out locations - but I can't tell you how difficult it is... for more reasons than you can count...

Keep up the good ideas, but don't think for a moment that DCA has its head in the sand and doesn't actively search for locations - They do...

This of course is my personal opinion now... hiding out in Seattle...

OK Tom that was me speaking out of not knowing any better and I apologize. And I never thought it would be an easy process to look. The car show I mentioned looked for a new spot years ago and came back so disgusted it was never tried it again.

Good to hear that DCA is proactive in finding sites. Lot of my concern comes from DCA being a three day instead of a Sunday only event like it used to be.

this is all fun stuff... and even a few intelligent ideas...

I do take exception to the one guy who mentioned that it was time for DCA to start LOOKING for places to hold the championships rather than wait for bids to come in... During my long association with the organization, I can't tell you how many long hours were spent searching for venues to bid... DCA does actively search out locations - but I can't tell you how difficult it is... for more reasons than you can count...

Keep up the good ideas, but don't think for a moment that DCA has its head in the sand and doesn't actively search for locations - They do...

This of course is my personal opinion now... hiding out in Seattle...

No shot intended Tom, I didn't know DCA, as an organization, looked for locations,.................all I've ever heard was "submit a bid",....................but like I said, viable options appear to be minimal,..............

Anyone ever try Baltimore? Maybe a stadium at say Towson or something?

Towson University's stadium would make a great venue for a regular-season show, I think...great lighting, nice artificial-surface field.... but I think it would need about 2,500-3,000 more concert-side seats, and more parking nearby, to make it suitable for a championship site.

M&T Bank Stadium downtown (home of the NFL's Ravens) is an outstanding stadium.... but it's too big, IMO, for DCA right now.

Navy-Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis, again IMO, would be perfect for DCA in terms of size of the stadium, available parking, etc.

However..... one major issue that would have to be resolved is corps access to the stadium floor. I worked the USSBA championship show there in November...... the bands at the USSBA show had to enter and exit the stadium from the same area.... resulted in several "traffic jams" at the gate.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Time for the sacrilege. Has DCA or anyone every looked into what whould happen if Finals weekend was held the weekend before Labor Day? Lotta places (Scranton/Allentown) have big things going on the Holiday weekend which screws up hotels. Member corps are getting younger and schools are back in session (HS) or moving in (college). Edit: How does the return trip time for the (new to DCA) distant corps screw up school? Plus how many fans don't go to DCA because of family obligations that weekend?

The problem with that is that those who attend DCA weekend are not student's and this is generally not a workable situation for them. If you accomodate the students, you potentially lose the bodies in the seats. I haven't heard that some people stay away from DCA because of family obligations.

I haven't heard that some people stay away from DCA because of family obligations.

There are a few people I know personally who skip a few years or can never make it anymore. Reasons are mainly family responsibilities like playing U-Haul taking kids to school or long distance family get togethers. I'm sure it's a small percentage of the people who do show up.

And when I posted about students I was thinking about corps members. When I was in college I had to skip corp practice the week before DCA to attend MB camp. Luckily two other corps members were in the band and one had a car to drive back and forth.

Welcome to the All Age/Sr side of DCP.... :)

The problem with that is that those who attend DCA weekend are not student's and this is generally not a workable situation for them. If you accomodate the students, you potentially lose the bodies in the seats. I haven't heard that some people stay away from DCA because of family obligations.

some people have...depends on the level of the obligation

Navy-Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis, again IMO, would be perfect for DCA in terms of size of the stadium, available parking, etc.

However..... one major issue that would have to be resolved is corps access to the stadium floor. I worked the USSBA championship show there in November...... the bands at the USSBA show had to enter and exit the stadium from the same area.... resulted in several "traffic jams" at the gate.

Fran

I think that those issues could be worked out. It is a great stadium! The band I arrange for and teach performed at the show, and we did not have a problem getting in or out. We were a smaller band to be sure, but the gate area is wide enough that I think the logistical stuff could be worked out for DCA with some decent upfront planning.

I have heard that Atlanta is going to put in a bid. The dome is great for shows. The yard lines are on new turf. Atlanta has plenty of hotels and rehearsal sites as well. The bars do not close until 4am in the heart of the city. If anyone wishes to experience "the elements" we will make sure and have that pipe burst again. THE SOUTH WILL RISE!!!!!!

:music::doh:

That would be so awesome. I could drive my own car to finals.

And I was sitting about 50 seats away from the famed pipe burst. What an experience! b**bs

We'll get Orlando to submit a bid. We could use the Citrus Bowl!!!

or not.

Our fantastic weather phenomenons are too unpredictable. But I would love to see a DCA here someday.