Drum corps shows that no one doesn't like

Hmmmmm. I've thought about this many times before, honestly.

BD '86 is a very good one....especially when you're just talking about listening to it.

Until Galen mentioned that he didn't like it in another thread, I would have suggested Madison '99 on here.

Maybe Madison '92?

These are only suggestions, but I guess that's all anyone has:

Phantom '91

Phantom '93 & '95, more so '95.

Glassmen '98-99

Actually, Glassmen '97 is a pretty hard show to dislike, honestly. It's simply a solid show all the way around.

Crossmen '92, I would say. I'd also suggest Crossmen '98, and '01.

Bluecoats '90

Bluecoats '05? I don't see people complain about it too often, but I guess stuff like the tabla feature could cause people to dislike it.

Boston '99 and maybe '00...more so '99 though.

Cavies '90-91

I'm hesitant to suggest it, but Cadets '95? Their '92 show is one where I can't really understand how you can watch it and say afterwards that you simply didn't enjoy it. Maybe '90 is the same way but I'm not as sure.

SCV '00.......maybe '97 and '98, and also maybe '91 and '92?

Madison '97, only seen one or two people say they didn't like it.

Star '90...I'm a bit wary of suggesting any of their later shows. Maybe '91 but I wouldn't say so though.

Suncoast '85, especially musically.

I find it hard to pick out any Cavies or Phantom shows, because the people who don't like the corps generally don't like anything either of the corps have done. BD is always admirable for their execution and all, but corps like that are easier to dislike, it seems. Not too many people criticize BD '88, and I've only heard a few complaints about '00. I personally can't really see why people would dislike their '06 show, but I've heard people express that opinion though.

Magic '94 is a really likable show; I haven't heard any opposing opinions. Same with Southwind '00, even though it was probably one of the easiest drum corps shows of the modern era (very long phrases and impressive stylistic interpretation aside).

How about Colts '99?

I'd say my top three are.........Glassmen '97, Suncoast '85, and Colts '99. The main reason I pick these three out is because when you're talking about corps with recent histories as storied as BD, Phantom, the Cavies, etc., you'll start finding people who dislike the corps itself for their style. That, or the many people who dislike corps because of rivalries, dislike shows simply because they won/placed very high and people didn't think the placement was corrrect, or are simply jealous of their success. I had Boston '99 in the top three before, but I edited it and changed it because I most definitely know people that would dislike the show simply because it was Boston who performed it. They're certainly a corps that's made a few enemies throughout the course of the previous century, haha.

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the general consensus will be that shows with 'themes' will be very hard pressed to find 100% support. The shows with the best chance of being universally liked will be shows that are straightforward in their presentation for the most part, usually not overly innovative, groundbreaking, or untraditional, and not really cheesy at all. As soon as cheese comes in (why did I put Madison '97 in my response, again??), you'll start hearing the traditionalists chime in negatively.

BD 03, I don't even like BD much at all and I like this show :)

SCV '85....(that was the year they did the clothes change in the tunnel, right? always get 85 and 86 mixed up in my mind)

Phantom 03

I think I recall Einstein saying he didn't like this show.

I could be wrong.

Phantom 03

Definitely not.

BD 03, I don't even like BD much at all and I like this show :)

Nope.