Rules Proposals

2007.1 - Extension of warm-up time  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

here's my question.........why spend all the extra time working on something you dont even get judged on?

not that i am against it, but hell, half the corps dont even do on field warmups anymore

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you define a flying start?

Back in the day, corps would actually perform drill and actually have something recognizable during their warmup. it was usually played backfield.

After the 1 minute, they'd usually turn front as the gun sounded, and you'd get hit with sound and movement as the gun sounded. Since the corps was on the move, you'd have a "flying" start.

1995 Cabs did one. I posted a link to their video in a different reply here. Their show doesn't actually start until you hear the first 3 notes of Malaguena. The gun actually fires, but it's very hard to hear in the video over the crowd. However, since I also have audio of the show, you can absolutely hear it in that.

here's my question.........why spend all the extra time working on something you dont even get judged on?

not that i am against it, but hell, half the corps dont even do on field warmups anymore

Because it is a choice. :P

Back in the day, corps would actually perform drill and actually have something recognizable during their warmup. it was usually played backfield.

After the 1 minute, they'd usually turn front as the gun sounded, and you'd get hit with sound and movement as the gun sounded. Since the corps was on the move, you'd have a "flying" start.

1995 Cabs did one. I posted a link to their video in a different reply here. Their show doesn't actually start until you hear the first 3 notes of Malaguena. The gun actually fires, but it's very hard to hear in the video over the crowd. However, since I also have audio of the show, you can absolutely hear it in that.

I remember Phantom and I believe Madison doing this.

The one I remember most is Phantom 82 marching onto the field, the horn and drum lines as Roman soldiers and the gaurd in yellow chains as the slaves.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one, but I ended up voting yes..

The key is having the warm-up (such as it is) meld smoothly and coherently into the show proper without any sort of awkwardness...the changeover shouldn't feel forced...

The staff should be expected to write something that's already in the spirit of the show (or transitions to the show proper coherently, naturally, and logically)

I didn't even know that there was a regulaltion on this. Didn't Madison do an "off the line" thingy in 2002 with Conquest? Something I thought was standard with old drum corps (pre DCI). So yeah, sure, vote yes.

They'd have to bring back the gun tho..

Can't have the kids hearing gunshots

I see a few negatives here. I think many of us appreciate the silent interval between performances for various reasons. We use this as an opportunity to stand and discuss the prior performance, "clear the palate", etc. Judges need time to dwell on the performance they have just witnessed without the next unit jumping in on their judgements too quickly. Also, what about the announcement of scores between units during quarter-finals. These would would all be infringed upon with a shortened tacit interval.

Yes. I'd love to see Spirit take advantage of this to play Georgia on my Mind, facing the crowd, loud as balls, at the end of their warmup before every show. :blink:

As much as I love Georgia, I really miss Salvation a lot more these days.

I love on the field warmups, but I also like the pomp and circumstance of "Drum major, is your corps ready?", salute, "You may take the field," and so on. This would effectively do away with all of that once and for all for those corps who wish to play, dance, move around right up and through their start time. I wouldn't be really opposed to this one, but I'm not excited about it either.

Edited by Tekneek

I see a few negatives here. I think many of us appreciate the silent interval between performances for various reasons. We use this as an opportunity to stand and discuss the prior performance, "clear the palate", etc. Judges need time to dwell on the performance they have just witnessed without the next unit jumping in on their judgements too quickly. Also, what about the announcement of scores between units during quarter-finals. These would would all be infringed upon with a shortened tacit interval.

A truly excellent point. Would it now become bad fan etiquette to enter and/or leave the stands or talk during a warmup? I'm one of those folks who will try to squeeze in a quick bathroom run or concession visit between corps rather than face the line during intermission. I'm always back in my seat before a corps starts, and if by any chance I don't make it, I watch from the entrance to the stands rather than interrupting the show. Will I now have to do this in 3 minutes instead of 5? Not looking forward to that.....