The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

how would it feel to be the kid who is booed, heckled, and yelled at by thousands of people all summer?
I would never boo the kid who played, I hope no one else would either. To hold that kid accountable for the decision of the directors is merely displaced anger. It would be the same for giving a soldier a hard time because the president sent him or her to fight a war you disagree with.

I wouldn't oppose that idea at all, and if that's what you've been suggesting then we agree. I don't agree however, with calling drum corps "high level" marching band. :laugh:
I will attest that Mike has always endorsed the idea of a separate division for as long as he has discussed this issue.

Something bad happened to the bottom of page 20 in this thread so I'll make another attempt at humor:

I don't see what the fuss is all about. Drum corps already embraces both :P kinds of musicians, Brass and Percussion!

Drum corps can embrace all marching band participants if they (marching bands) only allowed bugles and percussion instruments! b**bs

... if it ain't broke?

Woodwins add amazing amounts of new colors to the sound but they just can't project their sound as well outdoors.

I don't think anyone would deny WW add lots of new tone color or that any one has anything against them per say.

Just that we also like the unique sound of an all brass and percussion ensemble.

I don't think anyone would deny WW add lots of new tone color or that any one has anything against them per say.

Just that we also like the unique sound of an all brass and percussion ensemble.

that's what you get when they are resting

Here's an idea (that I neither endorse nor oppose):

What if drum corps allowed the use of a single, non-brass, non-percussion instrument in performances? Since we already have amplification, what if a marcher is allowed to pick up a saxophone for a solo, or even a violin? We already see players come to the sideline and pick up a flugelhorn for a solo.

Just throwin' it out there. (runs and hides) :laugh:

WOW! This is weird. Not 15 minutes before reading this post, the same idea came to mind. Perhaps instead of a full woodwind section, we allow a limited number of instruments that don't fit the "brass, percussion & keyboard" list.

My thoughts on woodwinds have always been that of opposition simply for the fact that I don't want "Drum & Bugle Corps" to cease to exist at the expense of band...anymore than I would want "wind ensembles" to cease to exist at the expense of orchestras. I like orchestras, and I like wind ensembles. Both are unique and both are something I always want to be able to enjoy at a live venue.

Same thing with drum corps AND marching band. I love both and would not ever want to lose either.

Now, here is what is interesting about this idea. Wind Ensembles, though made up of MOSTLY (key word..."mostly") winds and percussion can often be seen with an occasional string base, harp, electronic strings or sometimes even a violin solo (I've at least seen it). Now, it's still a wind ensemble...NOT an orchestra....because it's main charactoristic is winds and percussion without any FULL string section. So, could it be possible for a rule proposal in the future to include an....OPTION for a LIMETED number of woodwinds...we'll say for the sake of hypothetical discussion "3 woodwind AND OR string instruments used only" per corps...for the sake of allowing an electric bass or woodwind solo....BUT NOT allow for a full section? It could still be called "drum & bugle corps" due to the fact of the primary instruments being "brass and percussion". HMMM! Like you, I would not go so far as to say I would absolutely endorse the idea...but at the very least can be open minded enough to consider it...so long as the FOCUS is still "brass, percussion and guard"...making the term "Drum & Bugle Corps" not go totally obsolete.

WOW! Did I actually say all that? :laugh:

:laugh: Guess I did.

***running to hide also*** :laugh:

Edited by torn8o