The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Woodwinds in drum corps.............

Over my dead body.

There are BANDS (where woodwinds can play and do fine) and then there's drum corps - brass, guard, and percussion - and woodwinds have no place in drum corps, unless the powers that be deem it so - and if they do, kiss drum corps goodbye.

Yes, it is doing well these days in the area of show attendance and the like, but IMO there is just not enough 'there' there to fragment it into two separate organizations.

But that's exactly what you want to do, adding your "anything goes" division to DCI.

Who said BOA wants to form a summer band circuit?

Another twist. Read again for comprehension. If they want band in summer, they should build it themselves, not co-opt drum corps.

No it's not, if it keep the 18 or so in the DCI fold. IMO there isn't enough left to support two separate circuits. I see no problem with a show consisting of, say, 3 or 4 div I corps and another 3 or 4 anything goes corps that mahy utilize WW or any instruments they want.

So you're all for choice, but in a world with hundreds of bands, you want 50% less div 1 corps on current instrumentation, leaving, what, nine? How many woodwind etc bands are out there already? You say 2,000,000 band kids? Sure - you are all for freedom of choice. Good choices for you and the rest of the Hoppy vision followers, drastically reduced choices for the rest of us.

Yes, these same people who were all for change back then become hardened today. The ones who removed the set piece drills and PO'd the legacy fans THEN...who added all sorts of concert-type percussion....also dissing the legacy drummers...who added 2 and then 3 valves to horns...who turned guards into the amazing units they were starting in the late 70's as compared to pre-DCI

IMO it's ridiculous for legacy fans today to complain when you look at drum corps of 1955 and then of 1980 and see the amazing leaps put in place by many of those today who trash the changes going on now that THEY are the old timers.

I lived through a lot of those years and I don't remember one synthesizer on the field. I remember acoustic brass and percussion.......

By the way, Mike, I look at drum corps in 1980 and today and love the activity for the hundreds of things that have stayed almost exactly the same.

Well, in the band I arrange for and teach the most ardent marching junkies are WW players. They are also the ones who watch drum corps shows more than the brass players and percussionists, probably due to the first sentence than anything else. It's impossible to generalize based on any one band's attitudes.

I wasn't saying that based on just my bands attitudes. I even said that it tended to be the predominant opinions of almost all of the woodwinds that I have met in the festivals and camps i have gone too. Most of the upper level ww players i have dealt with either despise drum corps or just don't care about it.

Plus, say you let them in and you gain all these woodwind player. Wouldn't you lose a significant number of brass player? If woodwinds were in dci, I would have absolutely NO interest in marching a corps. NONE. Because the only reason I want to march drum corps is for the sole purpose of badassery. Woodwinds are not ######. They are great instruments. They bring all kinds of wonderful timbres and colors to an ensemble. In fact of those two clips that were posted a couple pages back. The marching band one sounded better. But it did not sound more ######. Woodwinds are just not ######(except for maybe, and this is maybe, the bari sax, and that's basically only when the dude in morphine plays it anyway.) I know there are alot of brass player who feel the same way i do.

Actually, yeah, he addressed a lot of the issues being talked about in this thread in this thread in which he responds directly to a bunch of questions by DCPers. Good stuff.

Hmm...15 months old...ancient history in drum corps... lol

Maybe he'll come back again.

for tubacurt - excellent post and thanks for posting.

There is a need for drum corps to BE drum corps in order for it to be what it is/was/will be, which, past, present and future, is all about brass, percussion, and the need to connect with the audience, and woodwinds, as fine as they are musically, does not "fit" with drum corps as it has been, and will (hopefully) always be.

Yeah Mike...shouldn't marching bands allow oboes so that oboe players have an opportunity to join marching band? Because you know, it's not like any oboe player was able to learn a new instrument so he or she could be in the flute section or the pit. And we all know how much knowing how to play more than one instrument is bad for your musical education.

Should everyone who composes symphonies write saxophone parts? Because... that would let more people play the symphonies. Saxophones can add a lot of texture to music that symphonies are lacking.

... different ensembles have different instrumentation. It's as simple as that.

Who said BOA wants to form a summer band circuit?

You make good points in most of the things you say (though I disagree completely), but this is a bit over-the-top. Who said BOA wants to form one? Who says DCI does? You seem to be saying that it's not good enough unless DCI does it.