The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

But do you see the handicap WW's have to deal with? I was fortunate enough to be a part of a great high school band, and while brass players I performed with could make any corps they want, I have to be told to wait an extra year or two to learn a new instrument? I'm obsessed with drum corps and stuff, I'll learn baritone, but that's not everyone. Most people are not going to invest that much energy into it when looking at the challenge in front of them. This shouldn't be held against them because they "don't have the effort". It's an extra roadblock for the player that can't say "hmm that looks cool, I think I'll try out for next year" when their high school goes to a DCI show. I think having more people involved in drum corps still comes ahead of the tradition behind the name.

Drum corps, as an experience, is about making you work, learning new things, and overcoming obstacles and roadblocks. I don't see how opening the activity to people who don't want to take the extra step is at all beneficial to the activity. If they're not willing to "invest that much energy," quite frankly, who'd want them? We're talking about one of (if not the) most elite organizations a marching musician can aspire to, and it remains that way because the people who "get it" know how rewarding it is to acheive something special in the face of that adversity.

Drum corps' problems have very little to do with a cumulative lack of bodies, IMO. I think a distribution of that interest is the problem, but I fail to see how appealing to people who aren't willing to work at mastering the artform would even begin to fix that issue.

Hey, I can understand, though not agree with, any arguments for the aesthetic merits of including woodwinds in drum corps. That's a personal preference, and like any art, an argument that will find agreement and disagreement with many people. But if you try to convince me that drum corps should buck it's heritage so prospective members don't have to work so hard to participate, you're gonna have a tough sell.

I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning. I think, perhaps, you're using "musical approach" incorrectly or, at the very least, assigning far too broad and nebulous a meaning to the term.

There are so many musical properties that are different between the two as a result of the musical phiolsophy behind each activity. The musical approach to drum corps is not symphonic. It's a homogenized sound that is supposed to meld together as one, and you shouldn't be able to hear individual instruments.

Characteristic Drum Corps Chord

The sound of a marching band is supposed to emulate the sound of a symphonic band (a drum corps, on the other hand, is not supposed to emulate the sound of a brass band, as the two are approached with two different musical philosophies). While the intent is one unified sound, individual instruments are supposed to be heard:

Characteristic Marching Band Chord

The entire approach to what each should sound like is completely different. The instrumentation provided for each activity is chosen to conform with the respective philosophy.

neither will I , I will stop marching junior corps and go to a senior corps who keep it real. B)

And I'd be right behind you.

Most people are not going to invest that much energy into it when looking at the challenge in front of them. This shouldn't be held against them because they "don't have the effort". It's an extra roadblock for the player that can't say "hmm that looks cool, I think I'll try out for next year" when their high school goes to a DCI show. I think having more people involved in drum corps still comes ahead of the tradition behind the name.

This is a weak argument to say the least. Yes, the woodwind converts do have an extra obstacle to overcome, but so what? It's been done before in the past and is still being done in the present, so why the need for a change? Seeing as how you're saying most people aren't going to invest the energy into converting, then perhaps this isn't the activity for them. EVERYONE puts in work and effort to be able to partake in this activity. I started in 2004 auditioning for a bass drum spot and ended up in the pit, barely being able to hold four mallets (and two, for that matter) in my hands, and today I am in high contentions for a spot in a top 12 corps (which I should know for sure after this weekend).

I don't want to tell a woodwind player to not be lazy and put any work into getting into this activity, but in a sense, don't be lazy and put in some effort to make it!

It's often been said that the sweet isn't as sweet without the sour, and in this case, the rewarding experience a woodwind convert will have after completing a season of drum corps on another instrument will be that much sweeter.

Ive taken a woodwind player under my wind showing him how to play euph and things in the spare time . i met him at the auditions , and thats what i belive drum corps is about , overcoming all bosticles and pulling offa good show , and creating a family.

Why should they remain as-is? How about DCI starting a new division where any instrumentation is legal, a la MB? That way, if a few want to go that route...so be it.

I's been done. Summer Bands International was the answer to this. These groups were a separate division in DCI events (on the west coast, at least). But people lost interest, groups lost members, and so the organization is no more than a website now. http://www.soundmachine.org/sbi/index.html

I marched in one of these groups and had a blast doing it! I marched clarinet. In fact, it was this organization that introduced me to drum corps.

Growing too fast to read it all. :rolleyes:

If age is the concern has anyone mentioned All Age or Alumni corps?

Edit: After re-reading it appears you will only accept being with a top corps as only Boston and Cadets are mentioned. Care to explain if this is true and if so why.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I'm a saxophone player who learned to play baritone. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that drum corps did not have saxophones in them, but as I began listening more and more I realized that it was a good thing; the power and timbre that an all brass line possesses is unique and very beautiful. I believe that the inclusion of woodwinds would alter that timbre.

I began learning baritone last September. This past summer I was marching, and I plan to continue until I age out(c/o '11). A year and a half after I began, I got 2nd chair all district euphonium this past weekend, and am eligible for all state auditions. However, I will not be auditioning for all state because during that weekend I will be at a drum corps camp. :)

It's taken a ton of work so far and I've still got a very long way to go, but I would not change my experience for the world. Every second I spent in drum corps this past summer was amazing for me, because I worked hard to be there. If I could go back to when I was beginning my band experience, I would still choose to learn saxophone and learn euphonium later on down the road.

I don't think that my experience would be as special if I had not been required to learn a new instrument. I know how hard I've worked, and every time I get to play in a drum corps hornline I think how lucky I am to be there.

Yeah, it was hard. It's still hard. I have to practice a lot to be at the same level playing-wise as everyone else I'm auditioning against, and I'll be ###### if I'm going to be the weakest player in my section. It's so hard, but yeah, it's drum corps.

It's so hard, but yeah, it's drum corps.

He gets whats going down B)

The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

For an experienced brass player, the Cadets can be difficult to make, but I need to spend extra time, money, and energy to learn the instrument so I can just have that attempt for one summer. I’m sure most kids aren’t willing to go through that (heck, I don’t even know if I’m up to it yet).

This is probably so far down here that no one will read it, but oh well.

So this guy doesn't want to invest the time to learn a new instrument, but he wants to march with the CADETS. Does he know what they go through on tour?!! I'm sorry but learning a new instrument to be able to march is no where near the hardest thing a person can go though marching drum corps. This goes for for every division, 1 2 and 3. He's talking about the CADETS, the drum corps that is possibly the hardest on their members. My friends from Cadets tell me it's harder to STAY with them than it is to make the corps. This guy knows he needs to learn a brass instrument to march, but doesn't know if he's "up to it yet" to "go through that." If he somehow made the corps, I guarantee that he would be one of the members weeded out during spring training.