Who would be opposed to Hopkins, et al., starting their own

Would you favor Hopkins and others starting their own circuit outside of DCI in order to bring electronics, woodwinds, and other changes?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Express yourself

• Yes
    • No

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE(MikeD @ Jan 10 2007, 04:08 PM)

I voted 'no'. I'd prefer that they (whoever 'they' is) stay within DCI and create a new division.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I have a fair and simple question....WHY would you prefer that they (whoever 'they' are) stay within DCI and create a new division???

Triple Forte

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why wouldn't you?

~>conner

Officailly I have "Not" stated my opinion. I was more interested in why MikeD is "For" this type of new division within DCI. You would probably be suprised at how many times people say they are "for" or "against" something and can't give you at least one reason why.....

My opinoion is that if George Hopkins wants to have an "Anything goes" division than he should use his USSBA circuit to spin off an "Anything goes" drum corps division. Either that....or start a whole new division seperate from anything else. That seems perfectly fair to me and probably fair to all people who follow these activities.

People seem to like the way DCI is right now.....why would anyone want to "Risk" its health with such a self-serving idea.

Triple Forte

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I wouldn't be opposed. A separate organization of summer marching bands would be amazing. I love marching band. :angry:

But leave drum corps alone.

In a sense, I agree 100%: leave the essential elements of drum corps alone. Of course agreeing on what the "essential elements of drum corps" are is tricky. :)

For me, though, a clear line must be drawn between brass and woodwinds. An all-brass ensemble is central to the "drum corps sound" and it is worth preserving. Woodwinds are lovely and I love wind ensembles and traditional bands. BUT the texture and force of a 60 voice brass line is unmatched and it is a thing of beauty. It should not be compromised, IMHO.

The problem is, if the Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils (three corps whose directors have been pretty instrumental in junior corps' changes) left DCI with three or four other corps, would the remaining DCI group (led by Phantom, Madison, SCV and maybe the Bluecoats) be able to survive and/or compete with "MBI"? My guess is no. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Tank

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officailly I have "Not" stated my opinion. I was more interested in why MikeD is "For" this type of new division within DCI. You would probably be suprised at how many times people say they are "for" or "against" something and can't give you at least one reason why.....

Except I have given my reasons why many times over many threads.

Main reason: IMO the summer DCI activity is doing well, but is a very fragile entity. There is not enough interest to support TWO totally distinct junior circuits anymore.

Other reasons...

I think most of the existing show sponsors would much rather see The Cadets, BD, etc remain within the structure of DCI to appear at their shows, as opposed to walking away and forming a circuit in direct competition to their shows.

I think most potential marching members, would rather compete w/in the "known" DCI umberalla as opposed to a new "thing", be it as a brass/percussion unit or an "anything goes" unit.

Drum corps has been moving towards band instrumentation for half a century or more; no need to stop now. It's the natural next step.

Main reason: IMO the summer DCI activity is doing well, but is a very fragile entity. There is not enough interest to support TWO totally distinct junior circuits anymore.

So you believe drum corps and DCI are very fragile, but strong enough to weather the most radical rule changes?

Other reasons...

I think most of the existing show sponsors would much rather see The Cadets, BD, etc remain within the structure of DCI to appear at their shows, as opposed to walking away and forming a circuit in direct competition to their shows.

Why do you view a potential summer band circuit as "direct competition" to DCI? Is MACBDA "direct competition" to DCI? SBI wasn't competing with DCI - seemed like they were working together.

I think most potential marching members, would rather compete w/in the "known" DCI umberalla as opposed to a new "thing", be it as a brass/percussion unit or an "anything goes" unit.

Sure - joining a winner is easier than building one.

Drum corps has been moving towards band instrumentation for half a century or more; no need to stop now. It's the natural next step.

Only in your imagination, Mike.