Tips for the Rookies of 2007

I'm coming up on my 3rd rookie season, and I decided that it would be a good idea to compile a list of tips/suggestions/guidelines for rookies about to enter the world of drum corps. I'll start.

-Whatever corps you join, you play and move the most. All other corps, especially nearby competitors, have easy drill and play whole notes for most of the show (standing still for about half of them).

-Don't wear shirts of other corps. No one cares where you've marched!

-Don't miss rehearsals. You'll get cut.

Edited by Penguin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be a bando

Don't be cocky, you'll #### off the vets. Be as humble as you possibly can. No one cares that you're "lead screamer" with your crappy high school or college. Of course that mainly goes to trumpet players since they tend to be the most cocky and annoying.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Indispensable, gotta-have-it stuff for tour:

-Duct tape

-Aerosol deodorant

-Whatever color socks you'll need for performances, DO NOT bring just 2-3 pairs. Bring 5 or 6.

And along the lines of Penguin's second point: nobody cares what high school or college you're from.

... don't go from corps to corps and say stuff like: "Well, in (insert corps or band name here) we used to do it like this"

Respect vets, they will help you then. Shut up. Pay attention. Let someone else be the a-hole.

Edited by GGarrett

... don't go from corps to corps and say stuff like: "Well, in (insert corps or band name here) we used to do it like this"

That's one of the things that pisses me off the most.

instead of giving rookies a list of what not to do, why don't we just give them a list of things that SHOULD do....I think that list would be much shorter.

3 things you should always do whether you're in drum corps or not

-be respectful of all around you

-take in all you can, it's a wonderful learning experience

-give 110% at all times, it'll pay off in the end.