Tips for the Rookies of 2007

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond underwear, beyond the t-shirts, beyond the shorts...

NOTHING is nastier than dirty socks.

Make sure you always talk about how much you like other corps, and wear their souvies as much as possible, just kidding.

Remember this phrase-To be early is to be on time, to be "on time" is to be late, and to be late is to be "hating it"

I will sum it all up in two words.

Don't suck.

I had these great ideas to add to this post, and then I read this.

Everything boils down to your attitude, skill level, and level of determination; so get out there and show them what you got.

pretty much nailed it. couldnt have said it better myself.
Don't suck.
dont suck

Well, we seem to have found the difinitive answer. No pressure, though. :P

Make sure you always talk about how much you like other corps, and wear their souvies as much as possible, just kidding.

Remember this phrase-To be early is to be on time, to be "on time" is to be late, and to be late is to be "hating it"

There you go. Nothing will annoy people more than a lack of personal responsibility.

the BEST advice i ever got before going on tour- was this (and keep in mind- i marched contra):

"you can have your pain BEFORE move in (by training really hard in the pre-season and comming ready to go 100%) or you can have it after move in (by not doing enough beforehand and getting the crap kicked out of you every hour of every day and hating life for 2-3 weeks) but you WILL have a lot of pain"...

my theory- better to spread it out in the months before and really come in top shape- the move in can be fun instead of hell...

"you can have your pain BEFORE move in (by training really hard in the pre-season and comming ready to go 100%) or you can have it after move in (by not doing enough beforehand and getting the crap kicked out of you every hour of every day and hating life for 2-3 weeks) but you WILL have a lot of pain"...

my theory- better to spread it out in the months before and really come in top shape- the move in can be fun instead of hell...

I second that one - I marched euph, lol.

Seriously, do all the conditioning you can stand before move-ins...you can either tolerate spring training, or you can be suffering and hoping to survive it. As they say, "an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure."

Keep your eyes open :doh: , there are some veteran members with incredibly huge heads that you may bang into.

This usually occurs around the 1st sopranos (lead trumpets??) and even more so near snare drummers.

Edited by bass5

Beyond underwear, beyond the t-shirts, beyond the shorts...

NOTHING is nastier than dirty socks.

Yes! You WILL ruin socks on tour and NOTHING feels better on tour than a fresh never worn pair of socks. Every time someone was coming to one of my shows and asked me what I wanted I always told them to bring a new pack of socks. And that is on top of taking at least 2x as many socks as there were days between laundry days!

Just remember that no one cares about your high school band. Seriously, we do NOT CARE that your band won boa, we do not care that your band won X amount of trophies, and we do not care that your band played "Kiss: Greatest Hits."

No one cares that your college band is the most entertaining thing in this hemisphere.

And for the record: Just because you marched with a euphonium in high school does not make you a bad*** who doesn't feel that much pain when marching euph. It took one of our mellophone players until horn appreciation day to figure that one out. ^0^