Tips for the Rookies of 2007

instead of giving rookies a list of what not to do, why don't we just give them a list of things that SHOULD do....I think that list would be much shorter.

:P heh... OK, I'm with ya:

- you SHOULD refrain from making comparisons to your former band or corps

- you SHOULD respect the vets of the new corps you're in, because they will help you if they know you to be somewhat humble. (add on to this from my

previous post: No need to respect a vet who goes around telling everyone how much respect he/she deserves because of whatever... that makes that vet an idiot.

- you SHOULD shut up

- you SHOULD pay attention

- you SHOULD let someone else be the a-hole

- you SHOULD go to have fun

- you SHOULD do your best

EHH... sorry... telling rook's what they SHOULD do actually came out as a longer list than what I had posted earlier. :P

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will sum it all up in two words.

Don't suck.

I will sum it all up in two words.

Don't suck.

I had these great ideas to add to this post, and then I read this.

Everything boils down to your attitude, skill level, and level of determination; so get out there and show them what you got.

Don't suck.

pretty much nailed it. couldnt have said it better myself.

Start pushing yourself as hard as you can now... physically and mentally.

Undoubtedly, your physical fitness is a very important factor, and the better in shape you are, the less likely you are to suffer injury and cause yourself massive pain (mentally by letting everyone around you down).

The mental side is a harder one to get through, always stay positive no matter how much you might be getting put down. Some days, you might feel pretty low, but remember, theirs another 134 other people around you pushing through it.. you have to do it for them.

I'd recommend anyone marching also take a look at NLP... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

It all comes back to being in that positive frame of mind to keep you going.

Oh yeah, when you pack; do a full pack like 2 weeks before tour, then actually figure out what you might use.... you can get away with 1 shirt a week, and section shorts... just make sure to have fresh socks :)

Got to a stage last summer where I'd leave my bag on the bus and just get fresh socks out... also saves you having to pack back up :)

Work as hard as possible now, before the season starts, it WILL make things a little easier when summer gets here.

Listen, listen, listen and take it all in.

don't let anyone talk you into getting naked

cmon now!!! why not!?!?! it is drum corps afterall