Tips for the Rookies of 2007

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally got ripped off the in the judging. Salute should not count the same as everything else!

If you dont have a talent, lets say it sucks, I know from experience. O.O

If you dont have a talent, lets say it sucks, I know from experience. O.O

w/Stp:

Thought I'd contribute some advice, having never marched a full season as a "vet":

- The staff will think you're worse than you are because you're a rookie. Don't let it get to you, just do your thing as best you can

- You will think you are better than you are and that the staff just never picks on vets. Don't let your head get too big

- No one wants you to fail, even when they're shouting at you. Everyone is there to create the best show possible, and that means they want every member performing at their highest level

- Confidence can carry you far (queue cheesy quote from American Beauty - In order to be successful, one must project an image of success), but don't let it become bravado.

- Perfect your show, and take every available opportunity to do it. The time between retreat and putting your uniform back on the truck can be used effectively to practice the show, or to work on I&E pieces.

- Push the ground away. A lot. The larger the horn, the more push-ups you should be doing.

- Sops and melli/os will think their horns are heavy, and complain about their sore arms. Bari/euph players will swear that their horns are actually heavier than those of other bari/euph players, and complain about their sore arms. Contras will snicker, rub their shoulder, then see who can hold their horn at carry the longest. And then complain about their sore arms.

- Make your show your #####. Pwn it like a wall-hack counterstrike session

- Have a draw string on your shorts, and attach to these a pencil and a thing of DCT

- Drink until you slosh during water breaks

- Put the bug spray on as you don your uniform. Use it liberally, as you will sweat it off while performing

- Pop/soda/carbonated beverages before the performance = passing out after the performance

And, to repeat the above:

- Relax. Breathe. Don't suck.

Edited by Matt Billock