1996 DCI Finals

I just watched at lunch....Steve said that either Phantom, BD, or Cadets could win with the performances they just put on the field. I didn't have time to throw in the 1996 Cadets...how was that show compared to the other two....I don't hear much about it?????? :lol:
It was a solid show, but they peaked about 2 weeks early and faded.

Cadets were solid that year, but I think the time they spent preparing for the Atlanta

Olympics that summer took some wind out of their sail.

The Cadets did a great job representing Drum Corps on that Olympic world stage.

Phantom’s 1996 show is one of my personal favorites! Amazing performance! :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched at lunch....Steve said that either Phantom, BD, or Cadets could win with the performances they just put on the field. I didn't have time to throw in the 1996 Cadets...how was that show compared to the other two....I don't hear much about it?????? :lol:

1996 Cadets = the biggest ensemble tear ever by a corps that won the ensemble music caption.

Beddis ran the show at Regiment in '96. They had a great drumline. Their best percussion show that year was actually at NightBeat in Charlotte about a week before finals. I have a judges tape (Alan Christiansen) from that show and he almost reaches orgasm holding the tape recorder. The stuff that they were throwing down behind the hornline that year was insane for a Regiment line at the time. Can't hear it on the finals recordings-

Cadets were solid that year, but I think the time they spent preparing for the Atlanta

Olympics that summer took some wind out of their sail.

The Cadets did a great job representing Drum Corps on that Olympic world stage.

I was about to make this point about the Cadets. If you watched the Olympics performance, they marched parts of their show on a blue mat with a few tick marks for lines. NOT as easy as marching on a fully lined (or re-lined for the Cadets :smile: ) football field. I'm sure they practiced that quite a bit. And then they had several other things they marched that weren't in their show. I know all corps work on other things throughout the year (retreat songs, etc.), but they don't usually have to perform them at the Olympic opening ceremonies. I'm sure their finals performance was impacted by all of this.

Now the main event:

Phantom's show had a special quality to it that is hard to define. My friends and I sat (or stood) mesmorized through the show. We had started going to finals together in 1992, which is nothing compared to the old phartz on these boards. But here, during my fifth finals, this one show captivated the crowd like none of the others. The crowd was literaly on edge, leaning forward in anticipation as the show built. It's easy to say this in retrospect, as so many people have praised this show. But during the actual event, my friend and I kept looking at each other...Can you believe this?

I have seen many shows that I loved, and some that I loved more than this one. But I will always remember the connection between the corps and the crowd on this night.

There was actually a lot of movement from Semis to Finals. I personally thought it was set in stone that we (Crown) were going to be no higher than 11th. I was shocked when Colts were announced 11th, and Crown 10th. People might have forgotten, but Magic and Crossmen tied that night as well. They were both ahead of Bluecoats in Quarters and Semis, but ended up tied for 8th, while Bluecoats jumped from 9th to 7th.

Yes - there was alot of things going on that made that night unforgettable. All of the shifts in placement and then Regiment being the dark (literaly) horse having placed 4th in quarters, moving up to 3rd in semis and then the buzz of the fans on finals night wondering if they actually had a shot at the title.

Experiencing the score anouncements that night is probably my favorite drumcorps memory as a fan. All the placement switching (including Bluecoats moving up two spots which I was happy about) just set everyone on the edge to begin with. Then that long pause while they were presumably recalculating scores to make sure they hadn't made a mistake and probably trying to figure out how to announce the tie.

Then when it was actually announced, it was just complete chaos (in a good way). It was fun.

Word... some captions are more important than others by virtue of being worth a higher percentage of the total score. If that many judges, working independently of each other, total a tie score, I think it should be left at that.

Quite a coincidence, though. After a number of ties, DCI put the GE tiebreaker in place. And there hasn't been a tie score since.

The reaction I had to the announcement of the tie was more of disbelief and had me remembering of the tie at DCM in Dekalb in 1982. It's hard to believe 12 years have gone by so quickly. That summer included watching the Cadets at the Olympics how the crowd pretty much had no idea who they were. I remember it being hot there, but not Birmingham or Miami hot!

• 4 months later...

I know im jumping in on this one really really late, but I had to chime in with something:

I was there for finals in 96..flew in from Utah to support some BD hornline members(Melanie Hunter, JP Bartschi, Nate Seamons) who taught with me at a high school in Northern Utah.

Melanie and JP were in VK with me in 94 and were really good friends. It was good to see them go to a corps and win a championship after two hellacious years in VK (94 and 95). I too was in the stands and remember being brought to tears by the epicness of what was happening.

However, the truly best part about the whole thing was being on the field after retreat and seeing another former VK member that I marched with from 94 who went to play mello in Phantom in 96. Her name was Melanie too and she was ecstatic at winning! I snapped a picture of the VKers (Melanie, Melanie and JP) who went on to win with BD and Phantom in the same year. Looking back at the photo, you can see how happy they were for each other in the fact their hard worked paid off...and coming from the hell they were in with VK in 94 to winning a championship. You needed to be in VK during those horrendous years to know what im talking about.....