Gay DCI Community

I know at my corps , we dont care if your gay or straight or ahtever , as long as you tear down when we hit the field. i know for a fact we have a few in every section. #### my section leader is gay.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Bi-sexual, but the same problems arise.

Where I marched is in the sig and I didn't really have a problem, and everyone knew of my orientation.

It's safe to assume a majority of the people were accepting at the corps I marched.

So you really had no problem then? That is great.

Here's a different spin (I guess). The fact is, DCI/DCA et al. is an arts community. I think we all know and expect that a good portion of the arts community will have preferences toward non traditional life styles. Anyone who has ever marched drum corps (I believe) expected this and is comfortable with it.

In my days of marching Jr. corps, I had the great honor of marching with young men and women who prefer partners of the same sex. Yes, some of them had extravagant demeanors, yet some were very straight laced. Again, this is to be expected to an extent because they are ARTISTS. Passionate, flamboyant, serious, introverted, extroverted .... it takes all kinds (just like the straight people). Not only did I have the honor of being involved in the activity with them, I had the privilege of knowing them as individuals .... and being their friend.

Sure, my grandmother **** herself when I brought home a black gay boy from the color guard who talked like Aunt Sally with a lisp. Now for a southern white girl .. this was hard for her to take at first. But she soon came to realize that he was a nice boy and respectful... and he obviously knew the value of a tough work ethic and had the common sense to befriend her grandbaby. The point is ....... it's everyones job in DC to educated off the field as well as on the field.

If you're new to drumcorps, are gay or bi and aren't sure what to expect ..... well .........

You may hear some bad jokes ..... some may make fun of how you talk or carry yourself ........ but the fact is ..... We are all people. We love you and couldn't survive without your creativity and envolvement in our art. We really don't care about all that other stuff as long as you can be yourself, accept us heterosexuals for who we are and throw down when it counts. We promise to do the same in return.

Edited by supersop

Maybe in Wisconson, around Madison?, sorry I'm a lady's only guy!!!!

Or Rockford or Rosemont or Concord or Toledo or Santa Clara or Seattle

or Memphis or Lacrosse or Bergenfield (Allentown) or Canton...basically anywhere

where there's a Drum Corps there's a good chance that some of

the members are gay. When did this become any kind of issue?

Or Rockford or Rosemont or Concord or Toledo or Santa Clara or Seattle

or Memphis or Lacrosse or Bergenfield (Allentown) or Canton...basically anywhere

where there's a Drum Corps there's a good chance that some of

the members are gay. When did this become any kind of issue?

Only when people want to push it for some reason. I agree, Why is it an issue?

It shouldn't be an issue, and while I've been out of DC for over 35 years, based on what I read here it ISN'T an issue - maybe some gay DCP'ers can "share" some examples of any bashing or problems, because I haven't heard of any - while I'm sure many High School-age people who aren't gay may still be in that "stage" where anyone who is "different" is therefore to be belittled, it seems that there's a heck of a lot more acceptance of others than there used to be when I was a teen.

None of my business, nor should it be anyone else's business!

It really is a non-issue. If you're there to work hard and do your job nobody will care whether you like boys or girls.

What does this statment mean?

Madison has been stereotyped far outside of drum corps. I accidentally tuned in one of the TV preachers 15 or so years ago and he opened his commentary with "I'm coming to you today from Madison, Wisconsin; ####-haven of the heartland."

Clever alliteration, sick mind!

I was bashed for being a friend, of my best friend at the time I marched. I had NO idea he was gay at the time. I did find out by asking him. We went for a beer and were best friends. But now I would be a hero of gay rights for my views at the time. That was in 79. Shame isn't it.