Gay DCI Community

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in 2002, but my general impression was that its pretty much a nonissue, i really havent thought about it too much. I think generally its pretty much accepted as a nomality, at least in drumcorps and I think all the gay people I've ever met have been through drumcorps so thats pretty cool too.

Actually, this was something that I've been thinking about lately. I'm starting my drum corps career this season, hopefully playing euphonium at Carolina Crown. I've been plenty out for a few years now at home, but I've been really apprehensive of it getting out in corps. Like I don't know how people'll act. Thanks to Facebook, a bunch of my new corps friends should know, so I guess it won't be such a deal when it comes out. I assume that people in this activity are usually pretty accepting about it, but I'm no stranger to homophobia. Oh well, I'm sure things'll work out fine.

People are very accepting of the gay community these days in Drum Corps( I am not gay, just want yous to understand were I am coming from.) But I do believe that they are. DCA corps more so.(because of maturity). Give DCA a look. And best of luck. That being said, wouldn't this thread do better in the OT section? It being more about sexual acceptance in Drum Corps than DCI itself I mean. Again, best of luck.

Edited by Jimisback

Although sharing the showers with Cavies after a day of rehearsal at UW-Whitewater was an experience.

sounds like a dream come true to me! LOL

I have been part of the yahoo group for years off and on "gay drum corps" and there is a great group of guys in there. I think overall when you go to shows or defintely look around a lot of corps these days, its LOADED with family...I think in general drum corps is pretty filled with really nice people who just want a great show---they dont care who you sleep with after...

People are very accepting of the gay community these days in Drum Corps( I am not gay, just want yous to understand were I am coming from.) But I do believe that they are. DCA corps more so.(because of maturity). Give DCA a look. And best of luck. That being said, wouldn't this thread do better in the OT section? It being more about sexual acceptance in Drum Corps than DCI itself I mean. Again, best of luck.

I would consider the drum corps (and "musical pageantry") activities to be among the most open and accepting communities you'll see on the face of the earth in the US.

And yes, I'm gay and I marched. See my sig for details.

I'm Bi-sexual, but the same problems arise.

Where I marched is in the sig and I didn't really have a problem, and everyone knew of my orientation.

It's safe to assume a majority of the people were accepting at the corps I marched.

I would consider the drum corps (and "musical pageantry") activities to be among the most open and accepting communities you'll see on the face of the earth in the US.

And yes, I'm gay and I marched. See my sig for details.

Good for you Galen. :) Is my sig not working?