Gay DCI Community

Anyone who has seen the increase of men in colorguard are familiar with the growing gay community within DCI. Doesn't seem to be a problem for most.

Edited by Jazzycat1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay guys should NOT shower with straight guys...Nothing against gay men. I have tons of gay friends but I've seen gay guys walking around the locker room with erections and talking about other naked guys in the showers....

:angry:

Anyone who has seen the increase of men in colorguard are familiar with the growing gay community within DCI. Doesn't seem to be a problem for most.

I don't think it's fair to assume "men in color guard" are automatically gay. While the % is probably higher in guard then what you might find in the Snare Line, or lead sop line, I don't care much for labels. The Gay community has been around DCI for a long time, BTW, if you really know the history. Many of the all time great instructors, judges, and designers were/are gay. I'm not about to pass judgement, I have enough issues of my own.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Gay guys should NOT shower with straight guys...Nothing against gay men. I have tons of gay friends but I've seen gay guys walking around the locker room with erections and talking about other naked guys in the showers....

I've marched two different corps that have male guard members and this was NEVER a problem. I'm actually pretty shocked it was even brought up.

You had no idea George Z. was gay? Wow. George was what you might call "obviously gay". It's enouraging that the drum corps community over the years has accepted (and honored) him as it has becuase he clearly lived his life "outside the box". Not your normal guy next door. I suppose this is not unusual for geniuses and I for one think George had atleast a touch of genius in him. Perhaps people thought his excentricity was a sign of genius and not necessarily indicative of his gayness.

Just the same, it's almost shocking that such an intergral part of his personality could have been "lost to history" in such a short period of time. Thanks for pushing the conversation along.

The drum corps community has accepted and rewarded a LOT of people in the activity who don't live "traditional" lifestyles, or whatever you want to call it.

And they should, because gay men (in particular, I've noticed) have done a lot of great things in this activity, particularly from a design standpoint (it seems to me).

To quote Brian Kinney from Queer as Folk, "Yes, I'm gay, but unless I'm ####### you, it's none of your business"

Hmmm....must have something to do with the guy who watches other guys wander around the shower proudly wearing their erections. :P