The perfect way to solve the issue of whether today's

I just had what my 7 yr old calls a "brain spark".

Here's what we do:

At DCI this year, each corps should be visited by a member of DCI. No speaches, no debates. The whole corps lines up and fills out ballots on what they want. No directors, no instructors, just the marching members. Each 2007 member gets to vote on where they want the Drum Corps activity to go. Seeing as there is a whole week to work with at DCI finals, two or three people could accomplish this fairly easily without a major disruption to the practices. Hand out a bunch of pencils and paper, they check the boxes and pick up their horns again.

Results announces the week AFTER DCI, in order to avoid major arguments during DCI week.

Votes should include all divs...1,2 and 3.

The marching members are the ones spending the $$ and sweating the blood, so why shouldn't they dictate the direction of Drum Corps?

Now THAT would solve the whole debate about what the members really want.

Edited by bearz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had what my 7 yr old calls a "brain spark".

Here's what we do:

At DCI this year, each corps should be visited by a member of DCI. No speaches, no debates. The whole corps lines up and fills out ballots on what they want. No directors, no instructors, just the marching members. Each 2007 member gets to vote on where they want the Drum Corps activity to go. Seeing as there is a whole week to work with at DCI finals, two or three people could accomplish this fairly easily without a major disruption to the practices. Hand out a bunch of pencils and paper, they check the boxes and pick up their horns again.

Results announces the week AFTER DCI, in order to avoid major arguments during DCI week.

Votes should include all divs...1,2 and 3.

Now THAT would solve the whole debate about what the members really want.

:angry:

Something tells me I know how this would end up.

I really wish they would do this even just to get our opinions without changing anything. George Hopkins says that the younger generation wants mtv and stuff like that, but has he ever asked the members what they want? I don't think directors should be allowed to go ahead and vote on issues like these before marching members are asked their opinions. Some people want Drum Corps to change the sound it has now to allow for electronic instruments, others, such as me, think that if I want to see this stuff I can go elsewhere to see it, and that drum corps shouldn't change the unique sound it has now. Why not, just for the hell of it, see who is actually in the majority?

Sorry. It's about the kids and they are paying money, yes... BUT, the directors and people in power ultimately decide, or we'd have some sort of drum corps anarchy.... you know what a better idea would be? If the members didn't like it, they don't march. wow.

It's still a good idea to find out what the members want. Aaron, you act like drum corps would exist without the members. Sorry, but it wouldn't. Alienate the actual people on the field performing the show, and this whole activity evaporates until there's nothing left but drill sheets and Sibelius files on arranger's computers. The marchers ARE drum corps. If the members don't like it and don't march, drum corps doesn't exist Aaron.

It's still a good idea to find out what the members want. Aaron, you act like drum corps would exist without the members. Sorry, but it wouldn't. Alienate the actual people on the field performing the show, and this whole activity evaporates until there's nothing left but drill sheets and Sibelius files on arranger's computers. The marchers ARE drum corps. If the members don't like it and don't march, drum corps doesn't exist Aaron.

Exactually what I was thinking.

And you (generalizing) think the state of DCI is bad shape now....

Sorry. It's about the kids and they are paying money, yes... BUT, the directors and people in power ultimately decide, or we'd have some sort of drum corps anarchy.... you know what a better idea would be? If the members didn't like it, they don't march. wow.

Hmmmm...remove the words drum corps before anarchy and what do we have? Sounds more like a dictatorship to me.

Just like voting for president, voting on referendums for where our $$ gets spent or anything else.

Having 20 people decide what the 4000+ marching members want just doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by bearz

The scenario you depict will NEVER happen. Why? Because of people like me. B)

Hmmmm...remove the words drum corps before anarchy and what do we have? Sounds more like a dictatorship to me.

Just like voting for president, voting on referendums for where our $$ get spent or anything else.

Having 20 people decide what the what, 4000+ marching members want just doesn't sound right to me.

It's like high school or college man... if you don't like it, can't cut, hate, DON'T PAY MONEY TO DO IT! just because you pay money doesn't mean you get to call the shots... and don't even try to play the democracy card because we ALL know that doesn't work quite the utopian way we'd all like to believe.....