The perfect way to solve the issue of whether today's

As with Drum Corps seeing it on video doesn't come close to doing it justice like being there live.

But being heavily envolved in both groups as a staff member and fan (not saying for which of course :) ) I see electronics as being a part of drum corps soon. If we like it or not.

All of the kids who are in these competitive marching bands are used to this type of stuff and it is this same group who are the future drumcorps members.

It just my opinion of course but, if and when electronics come to be in drum corps there will be people who do a good job of intergrating it and there will be those that go overboard. Just like with narration.

Once again just my opinion.

... I agree with you, it's coming, probably in 2009. I think we both can find common ground on that one.

However, I would be interested in knowing what you feel might intrinsically stay the same...or change...design-wise once we have them out there.

Do we have Phantom playing Rach 3, but only serving in most regards as a backup to the pianist? Do the Cadets decide to forgo a traditional drum break and only use electronic instruments for it? Or do you see something different happening?

I'm not trying to single you out per se, but since you have experience on both sides of the coin, I'm sure you have insight into how things might progress.

Edited by bawker

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... I agree with you, it's coming, probably in 2009. I think we both can find common ground on that one.

However, I would be interested in knowing what you feel might intrinsically stay the same...or change...design-wise once we have them out there.

Do we have Phantom playing Rach 3, but only serving in most regards as a backup to the pianist? Do the Cadets decide to forgo a traditional drum break and only use electronic instruments for it? Or do you see something different happening?

I'm not trying to single you out per se, but since you have experience on both sides of the coin, I'm sure you have insight into how things might progress.

Not taking the easy way out here but, only time will tell. As with anything, there will be people (corps) who in my view will go a bit overboard the first time out becuase they have new "toys" and want to use them.

But as for the overall design.... In my heart, I don't see electronics taking away from the core aspects of drum corps which make it "drum corps". I know some people feel that it already has changed, but not me. It still excites me like nothing else can!

OK folks, as the OP of this topic I'd like to ask you all to come back around to the subject of polling the members opinions, instead of a discussion of the merits of these changes.

Thanks!

Wow...I've never started a topic that started such debate before! LOL

Edited by bearz

On the original topic...

I would like the opinion of myself and my corpsmates to be known. I definitely don't want it to be the deciding factor in what rule changes occur, but what on earth could be the problem with at least knowing the majority opinion of the current marching members?

I would at least like for the my opinion and my corpsmates opinions to be considered, instead of being told that I love to watch MTV(which, coincidentally, I don't).

Disclaimer: this does not have anything to do with Mr. Hopkins. I greatly respect him and think that he's doing wonderful things for the activity. However, even if it was said by another person I would still resent being told that I love to watch MTV.

OK folks, as the OP of this topic I'd like to ask you all to come back around to the subject of polling the members opinions, instead of a discussion of the merits of these changes.

Okay...here's some more thought on the idea...

You've asked for all members of all divisions to be polled in an effort to get their views on the direction of drum corps (acutally in your post you ask for a poll so that their views can DICTATE the direction of the activity). Let's remember that the top Division 1 corps have higher average ages, but the overall average age of all members across all divisions would be significantly lower. Division 2 and 3 corps, and even some lower ranked Div 1 corps have averages towards the lower end in the range of ages of eligibility.

I work with my daughter's HS band very regularly. She is in fact eligible to march drum corps this year herself. She does not, nor do any of the members of her band, have the maturity to have such responsibility laid at thier feet. Besides, knowing her, she wouldn't care anyway...she would be happy with whatever the powers that be hand down to her. She would march for the fun of it, not because she agrees or disagrees with electronics, Bb horns, increased corps size, or any other change. Changes come and changes go, and as a member she would go with the flow, just as I did in my day. I would venture to guess that that might would be the attitude of many, if not most of the younger members in corps (and when I say that, I'm not speaking of those incredibly passionate corps members such as the ones that participate in DCP discussions and the like, because we all know that the overwhelming majority of corps members never enters the doors of this or any other online forum).

So in short, do you really want the fate of DCI to be determined by the collective opinions of a bunch of young persons whose average age might be in the early to mid teens? Whose average drum corps career will last a year or two at best? Or would you rather trust the directors, who have not only years, but decades of experience in drum corps and many of whom work daily in the marching band world with the very young persons that we are trying to lure as members and/or fans of our corps?

Edited by ssorrell

I would love to see a survey being done to find out several things. I wouldn't want the survey to get to long either. Here are a few possible questions. I like open ended questions so they think and reflect on their experience more.

How did you first learn about drum corps? When did you attend your first show?

Did you watch the ESPN broadcast? What about the broadcast captured your interest the most?

What did you like most about your first viewing of drum corps? (either videos or live performance)

What made them you to march?

Do you feel amplified singing or narration adds to a show?

Do you feel amplification of the front ensemble helps with balance and performance?

Are you in favor of adding electornic instruments?

Are you in favor of adding woodwinds?

Do you think there should be instrumentation limits?

Do you like the traditional instrumentation of drum corps?

What show design or performance changes would you like to see?

What were the top three things you will take away from your drum corps experience?

I don't think policy should come from the survey. I would just like to have a broader knowledge of the attitudes of current members. It might surprise me or some directors to know the answers to those questions.

So in short, do you really want the fate of DCI to be determined by the collective opinions of a bunch of young persons whose average age might be in the early to mid teens? Whose average drum corps career will last a year or two at best?

No. I just don't want one director falsely claiming they all want what he wants, then dismissing reality when confronted with kids that don't agree.

No. I just don't want one director falsely claiming they all want what he wants, then dismissing reality when confronted with kids that don't agree.

YUP...thats it.

It is a good point about the younger ages. NO, I don't want them actually making policy, but I DO want to know what, say, the Div 1 corps, where the changes would be most implemented, really want. Adding amps, mics and all the expensive things probably isn't going to filter down to div 2/3 on a big scale, but div 1 will be very affected, so perhaps just a polling of div 1 members is a better idea.

I didn't say I had all the answers, just that I had this brain spark and I think its a good idea. I STILL think its a good idea, and I can learn from others ideas about what the feasibility of this study would be.

Luckily George Hopkins has never claimed that all the kids want what he wants so you are in the clear.

I'm sure the hate mail and death threats keep that quite clear in his mind.

Edited by dbc03

One director.

He can't carry the entire drum corps world on his shoulders. Don't give him that much power. It takes a majority to carry a rules change.

If changes that you dislike do indeed come to pass, blame the majority that voted in favor of them...not Hopkins alone.