The perfect way to solve the issue of whether today's

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having 20 people decide what the 4000+ marching members want just doesn't sound right to me.

How about 535 people deciding the fate of our nation, whose population is 300 million+? Have YOU ever been asked by an elected official what your desires are?

Yeah, members pay to play, but that does not give them rights to chose the direction or to even have a voice in the direction of the activity that they are participating in.

I used to go to summer camp, and of course I paid to attend. That did not give me the right to have a say in the activities nor the purpose of the camp. If I didn't like the camp or what it stood for, I'd either find another camp or stop going to camps.

Now, in drum corps I can honestly say that I thought I would hate the evolution of corps over the past few years. The changes just didn't sit well with me...first the multi key rule, then amps, larger corps, etc. But, in hindsight...looking at the shows, I can admit that I haven't been as affected as I thought I would be. I absolutely love the Cavies shows since those "big" changes, and Phantom continues to be a favorite too. Even the Cadets shows of the last two seasons have given me something to think about while enjoying some rather juicy performances. So in short, this decade full of change has thrilled me just as much as 1980 or 1986...two great years from this old timer's era. The only difference is that back then, I found more corps to have an entertaining approach to show design...it has nothing to do with the instruments, how many is on the field, or whether a corps plugs in or not.

While I don't necessarily think that rules should be legislated based on the marching members' opinion, I do think an exploratory study on what the students want has value. Why wouldn't information on the ways these kids think be helpful to the directors and instructors who vote on these issues? After all, they are in fact supposed to be serving the kids, right?

What percentage of people that watch mtv do you think are also into drum corps? Heck the percentage of the entire country that even knows that drum corps is is quite

Actually, a lot (if not most) of the people that march corps also watch MTV - its music, and we all love music. However, the flaw in the logic is that someone that watches MTV and has an IPOD wants electronics in drum corps. Seems like a large leep of faith to me to go from one to the other.

That's like saying that because most members listen to rap that it would be a great idea to have a rapper on the field (think Drumline the movie).

Guess they just want to add a little "sumthin sumthin" to the show, and make it more "crunk." [or whatever other made up words I'm suppossed to be using in my every day speach now days]

.... you know what a better idea would be? If the members didn't like it, they don't march. wow.

The problem I have with this is we are trying to turn DCI into something we already have, marching band and mtv and stuff like that. However, what other form of music is anything like DCI? Why should we leave the activity that we love because people like you want to change it into something that's already out there? Have you considered that there's a good reason that people want drum corps to remain without electronics? Because WE LOVE IT! There's no other activity like it. If people like us are in the majority then maybe people like YOU should leave this activity behind. The kind of stuff you want to turn DCI into already exists. BOA may not be the level of DCI but the members are the ones that are giving DCI the proffesional quality that distinguishes it from BOA, so why should we be forced to change just because DCI is higher level than BOA?

I do agree with the polling idea. However, you have to remember some members march with their corps because they like the organization, members and or staff that comprise it. Sometimes, the show concept will just come second to that.

Just my $0.02

don't like it? don't march.

I don't think you would like it if everyone who didn't like amps chose to not march for that reason. There would be about 6-7 drum corps.

Luckily for you, the marchers think there is more to DCI than whether or not there are amps. But that doesn't mean the majority of marchers support them.

Back when I was marching and teaching, there were very few if any members that wanted to switch to Bb horns. Two years later, I couldn't name one member that wanted to go back to G horns.

Smart long term decisions need to made by DCI, not from member surveys.

I can't wait until we can hear the new sounds and textures of electronics in 2009.