The perfect way to solve the issue of whether today's

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and another thought, the only people afraid of finding out what others actually think are those who are afraid to be proven wrong.

go ahead, I already know what the majority think... I USED to be one of them... I used to be a "purist" too... brainwashed is more like it... The scary thing for y'all is that my position is only gaining numbers... people are slowly coming over to the dark side... it's only a matter of time...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

Hmmm AAron...I don't seem to remember saying what my position was! hehehe

Actually, thats just fine with me. If the polls of the actual marching members, all of them, show the majority wants to go with these changes, then my point is that we SHOULD do what the majority wants. Whether I am in favor of it or not is irrelevant, and THAT IS MY POINT.

Get a grip Aaron.

Get a grip Aaron.

No thanks... I like being the angry one on here... ^0^

I really wish they would do this even just to get our opinions without changing anything. George Hopkins says that the younger generation wants mtv and stuff like that, but has he ever asked the members what they want? I don't think directors should be allowed to go ahead and vote on issues like these before marching members are asked their opinions. Some people want Drum Corps to change the sound it has now to allow for electronic instruments, others, such as me, think that if I want to see this stuff I can go elsewhere to see it, and that drum corps shouldn't change the unique sound it has now. Why not, just for the hell of it, see who is actually in the majority?

It is true that the younger generation wants mtv stuff, but that's the younger generation that you would call normal kids. Drum corps kids are not normal at all. What percentage of people that watch mtv do you think are also into drum corps? Heck the percentage of the entire country that even knows that drum corps is is quite small.

Edited by mellodramatic

Ya know, the more I think about this the better I like this idea. Even if just as an advisory vote. I'm not planning to go to DCI...my hubby would KILL me...but I would take the wrath of hubby and volunteer to handle this on a committee with a person on the other side of the issue from me, just to make sure things were done fairly. I would really, truely like to see what the actual membership wants, rather than hearing from the filters of those who know what they already want and may be either hearing what they want to hear, or are only hearing from people who are "preaching to the choir" because people on the opposite side just don't want to bother wasting their breath arguing with a person whose mind is already made up. People in charge, or people who feel very strongly about a subject, frequently only hear from others who feel the same way for this very reason, and thats why they assume they are in the majority and everyone else feels the same.

The true leader closes his mouth and opens his ears. He keeps his opinions to himself so that others feel free to express theirs without fear of retaliation.

go ahead, I already know what the majority think... I USED to be one of them... I used to be a "purist" too... brainwashed is more like it... The scary thing for y'all is that my position is only gaining numbers... people are slowly coming over to the dark side... it's only a matter of time...

Okay, let's not go overboard.... using "brainwashed" isn't exactly playing fair. I doubt you'd want to be dismissed as a "borg" on this particular topic, right? :P

If we're to have these things...presumably in 2009...it's up to directors and those that want this to make the case to get people on board for this. I've yet to see an application that doesn't come off as amateurish in some regard.

Can you (or others) point me to a marching band show...or part of a concept that you have as a designer/artist...that's going to sell electronics to the masses?

So who brainwashed you? Alumni from the Corps you marched with passing on to the new members traditions 30, 40, or 50 years old.