The perfect way to solve the issue of whether today's

Thousands of people? The same thousands that refused to support corps that switched to Bb instruments?

I guess I'm more open minded. I'm not going to refuse to support an activity because there are new sounds involved. That's ridiculous to me.

If I no longer enjoy an activity because of the changes, it's more ridiculous to continue to support it, wouldn't you think?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one know I won't pay a dime to the Cadets this year...though I might have to pay a little more than that for the hot dog I plan on eating during their show.

Why did you watch them last year?

Okay, let's not go overboard.... using "brainwashed" isn't exactly playing fair. I doubt you'd want to be dismissed as a "borg" on this particular topic, right? :P

If we're to have these things...presumably in 2009...it's up to directors and those that want this to make the case to get people on board for this. I've yet to see an application that doesn't come off as amateurish in some regard.

Can you (or others) point me to a marching band show...or part of a concept that you have as a designer/artist...that's going to sell electronics to the masses?

Well for the marching band genre, up until this year I would have said Ronald Reagan HS. Their shows are usually really very good with all the electronic stuff . But this year LD Bell's show really did an incredible job with them. Check it out if you can.

But... It has to be done correctly or it comes off cheesy most of the time. Which is what I think everyone is afraid of.

Just my $.02 of course

If I no longer enjoy an activity because of the changes, it's more ridiculous to continue to support it, wouldn't you think?

To steal what dbc03 wrote in another thread, perhaps what this person meant to say fell along these lines....

I will never withdraw my support from drum corps. There are more important aspects to drum corps than my personal enjoyment, so even if I don't like any of the shows anymore, I will still make donations to drum corps because I know that the experience that the kids are getting is worth the investment. That will remain my way of giving back to an activity and a drum corps that gave me so much.

I don't mean to try and speak for anyone here, but that's how *I* would interpret "supporting" the activity, even if I don't care for the shows anymore. I think it's a beautiful sentiment to give back in such a manner.

I guess it's just me then. I can still enjoy drum corps with some electronic sounds. Some may do well with it, others may not. I may not like a show as much, but I still enjoy drum corps.

Every year, there were acoustic shows that I hated. I still supported the activity.

Well for the marching band genre, up until this year I would have said Ronald Reagan HS. Their shows are usually really very good with all the electronic stuff . But this year LD Bell's show really did an incredible job with them. Check it out if you can.

But... It has to be done correctly or it comes off cheesy most of the time. Which is what I think everyone is afraid of.

Just my $.02 of course

Thanks for that. I'm looking on youtube now...is it "The Remaining"?

To steal what dbc03 wrote in another thread, perhaps what this person meant to say fell along these lines....

I don't mean to try and speak for anyone here, but that's how *I* would interpret "supporting" the activity, even if I don't care for the shows anymore. I think it's a beautiful sentiment to give back in such a manner.

I'll continue to go to Dutch Boy's home show every year, and if one of my daughters march div 1 I'll grit my teeth and go. In terms of financial support, while I complement this person's dedication to the activity, I'm afraid I can't follow in his example. I feel withdrawal of financial support through ticket and souvie purchases is the only voice I have. The BoD makes it clear that they don't care what I think. So - voting with my feet and my closed wallet is the only option left.

First of all, me. Second of all, the thousands of people who will refuse to support the corps that use these sounds ever again.

The whole thing that amazed me about drum corps is that amazing shows could be produced completely acoustically.

You will never support the Cadets, Crossmen, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders ever again?

Even though you have posted many times about how "excited" you are about some of these corps in 2007.

You have. I can prove it.

When you say things like this, all your credibility goes out the window.

Yes.

Watching it now...it's not bad for high school competitive stuff. :)

However, one thing that strikes me is that theres a great reliance on solo and soli sections in this type of show... almost relegating the band proper to background and loud impacts every so often.

Independent of the "woodwinds argument" (which isn't relevant to this), do you think that electronics will move shows in drum corps towards this type of production?

Edited by bawker