Blue Devils Drumline - No High Drums since 97

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. Dynasty.

Worst sounding pieces of junk that is called a drum

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst sounding pieces of junk that is called a drum

OK, time for me to sound like an un-edumacated brass player, I dont notice THAT much difference between drums. Heck, I know a snare who says Dynasty drums are the best he's ever played, is it just preference or what?

Different kinds of wood make different sounds. After marching Yamaha at Madison, I hate the sound that my Pearl quads make. Doesn't matter how you tune them sometimes. Most of it has to do with the quality of the shells and hardware.

I fust realized that they haven't won the percussion trophy in quite a while, myself. I thought they were excellent 2006. However, the last few years they have placed either 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Not too shabby, considering that it's not like the early 90's where they were placing pretty low in percussion compared to the rest of the corps.

It's got a lot to do with the book. Scott loves to write very dense books, lots of notes. More notes = more chances to tick. If Scott dumbed the parts down a bit, I think BD would have a lot more drum titles in their book.

It's more about the WGI technique they use. Everything is so high all the time it's rediculous. I say keep the dense book .. make it even harder if you ask me ... but use some technique closer to the BD lines of the 80's. I don't care how far over your head you can raise you sticks .. if you can't play clean every time, there's no point.

Unless it get's you more GE Visual points :worthy:

OK, time for me to sound like an un-edumacated brass player, I dont notice THAT much difference between drums. Heck, I know a snare who says Dynasty drums are the best he's ever played, is it just preference or what?

If you can find an mpg of Ivan Pacheco's winning snare I&E solo in 04 you'll hear it. The only time I heard a real snare sound from his Dy-nasty snare was when he was doing buzz rolls up at the rim. Horrid sound indivitually....as a group, they sound a little better (BD 03 opening), but on the whole...ick.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. Dynasty.

Not for nothing...

I don't have any personal experience with Dynasty drums at all- never hit one, tuned one or even seen one in the midwest at a contest (H.S. or college)- everyone in the Kansas City area plays Pearl or Yamaha (both lines with plusses and minuses in sound and playablity).

IMHO, I ALWAYS thought Devils had a great sounding drumline, from the early-mid 80's Ludwig lines, to the late 80's to late 90's Yamaha lines.

I haven't yet LOVED (didn't hate them last year) the sound of a BD line on Dynasty drums. Everything (esp. low toms and basses) sounds thin to me.

For that matter, I hated the sound of Boston on Dynasty, after loving the sound of the late 80's to mid 90's Ludwig lines, and thought they sounded much better last year on Pearls.

Plus, I think they look goofy on everybody I've ever seen. Just my opinion!