Trombone/Baritone thread

Trombone/Baritone poll  

77 members have voted

1. 1. DCI Baritone players...what did you play before DCI?

• Baritone
    • Trombone
    • Other brass
    • Woodwind
    • Other

....actually, trombones only know seven positions..... :P

True, true. But if you want to get technical, we know all the ones in between, too. :drool:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....actually, trombones only know seven positions..... :P

And very rarely use 2 or 3 of them. ^0^

OK trivia time, I'm 49 and got my first Old student trombone in the fourth grade so roughly 1965. Blasted thing was expensive as it cost $150. Following year a friend took up trombone and was his parents PO'ed that the price jacked up to $159, talk about inflation. :P

My sister also learned to play on it and the horn is at her place. No lacquer left on it but still plays. Think the original Olds '3' mouthpiece is in my cellar somewhere. Bought a ca. 1940 one valve Bari a few years ago and it came with the original mouthpiece. Yep, also a '3' this time made by Conn.

I was a trombone player before I marched.

I marched in the 80s when we used 2 valve G bugles.

I aged out in 90 thank god!

I wouldn't have known what to do with that third valve.

A third valve just seemed like a way to make an already heavy horn heavier.

Ironically, I started on trombone, and now all I own is a 2 valve G bugle LOL

deg2.jpg

1. Started with the baritone in 7th grade.

2. Learned the trombone in 9th do I could play in the jazz band and orchestra.

3. Then I learned the bari bugle for corps(v/r).

4. Learned tuba in 12th grade to help out the band on a couple of songs.

5. Back to bari in college.

6. Bari now for mini-corps.

I currently own THE legendary 2 valve King G and a Conn 19I euph. Got both off of Ebay for $500 each and both are in pristine condition.

Using a Dynasty 3 valve Bb in minicorps.

I was a trombone player before I marched.

I marched in the 80s when we used 2 valve G bugles.

I aged out in 90 thank god!

I wouldn't have known what to do with that third valve.

A third valve just seemed like a way to make an already heavy horn heavier.

Ironically, I started on trombone, and now all I own is a 2 valve G bugle LOL

deg2.jpg

That's one thing that I coulld never figure out (hey, I was just a dumb snare drummer), but I can't understand why they dumped the two valve architecture. Most brass players that I knew loved it. It was capable of full chromatic range and required only two fingers instead of three. They were probably designed with the "KISS" system in mind, and they worked.

That's one thing that I coulld never figure out (hey, I was just a dumb snare drummer), but I can't understand why they dumped the two valve architecture. Most brass players that I knew loved it. It was capable of full chromatic range and required only two fingers instead of three. They were probably designed with the "KISS" system in mind, and they worked.

While they did have a full chromatic range, the whole range varied wildly in intonation LOL

Some notes on the 2 valves are not, and never would be in tune.

You had a thumb ring on one of the tuning slides to try and compensate on the fly, but it was not very accurate.

This is why basically every show ever written for G bugles is in the key of G or F.

The two valve G bugles were very limiting, but I still loved them and thought they were one of things that made corps unique.

Right now there is a big discussion over electronics, I can remember in the late 80s when people never thought there was a chance of going to 3 valves much less Bflat.

I will always prefer the sound of the old G horns. although I hear that Kanstul is going to produce Bflat Bugles which should help a bit.

I was a clarinet player. I hated clarinet so much that after I learned baritone for my first corps I dropped it and took up euphonium as a major instrument, and am now majoring in music ed on it.