Blue Shades ~ Cadets Recording on YEA.org

Fine then. Maybe I'll come the next camp B)

Just don't leave Raiders for Cadets this season, Bruno!

If your assumption is that Spirit's hornline couldn't handle what was written for them and because of that they received weaker arrangements, I don't think you are correct! You heard what the Dance of the Mushroom Hunters originally sounded like!!!!! There was a section that was cut out(if I remember correctly) but it wasn't because the hornline couldn't handle it. Keep in mind that Spirit's arrangement of Blue Shades was only like a minute long and others use(d) the whole piece.

I guess if you HAVE to put it that way ... then we'll just have to disagree. It was no 84 Madison by any stretch. The difference is .. Madison didn't have to run all over the place while playing it. They also had some of the strongest lead lines around back then (in all sections). I think the arrangements for most corps these days are a compromise of 1) what can be physically played while jazz running. 2) What is your strongest section and write the meat for them. 3) Have a backup arrangement ready to go when rewrites are needed based on staging and playability.

The first post I made wasn't a slam on Spirit or Saucedo. It's just the nature of todays beast that we call Drum Corps.

And ......... Happy Valentines Day!

I thought you would be great at the "Wahhh Wahhh Wahhhh wahwwahwahh wahhHHHHHH" part :P

Funny, I do play that part. I really enjoy how it's labeled "Dirty plunger."

Oh... Jerk. :o)

Just don't leave Raiders for Cadets this season, Bruno!

Don't worry man, I won't...

I love leaving those dots, it always creates "suspense."

Back on topic, I have already stated my opinion of Blue Shades like three times. It is awesome. It sounded awesome yet I heard from someone that they were tired when it was recorded. They definitely don't show it. :rolleyes:

Edited by rai-mello

WOW! This is shaping up to be an incredibly difficult horn book. And man do I love it!

I can't wait to see this show

Don't worry man, I won't...

I love leaving those dots, it always creates "suspense."

Back on topic, I have already stated my opinion of Blue Shades like three times. It is awesome. It sounded awesome yet I heard from someone that they were tired when it was recorded. They definitely don't show it. :rolleyes:

What is drum corps but a constant state of being exhausted

Our Wind Symphony is playing Blue Shade right now, and I hate it. I have to admit, it sounds better as a corps song than a concert band song

To do this concert piece right, you need a powerhouse ensemble, with an amazing sense of style and intonation. The piece is an absolute masterpiece. You can't try and do this piece justice with some crappy average wind ensemble. I believe it truly takes a symphonic band to pull this piece off to it's fullest potential. As much as I love the piece, I haven't heard any corps yet really capture the full spirit of this piece the way that I hear it envisioned. It always has come off a bit...i don't know...forced? I normally love jay's arrangements, but this is sub-par for me. It seems...forced.

Can't wait to see this on the field!!!!!

Nice Trumpet solo and good low brass sound.