Drum Corps Classics

Pittsburgh Rockets played Patton for about 45 minutes of their show (it seemed). That recurring theme haunted me for years after only one viewing at the old Aquinas Stadium.

I remember Brigs doing it as well in the late sixties or early 70's.

Donny

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pittsburgh Rockets played Patton for about 45 minutes of their show (it seemed). That recurring theme haunted me for years after only one viewing at the old Aquinas Stadium.

Donny

Complete with the carbide cannonfire. (years before pyrotechnics were banned)

the night time stadium echoes made their "Patton" that much more memorable.

I think I still have an old stand cassette recording of that show somewhere in the stack - maybe from the Turtle Creek show

Edited by lipsprain

I will start by saying 1989 was my favorite year....all of the top corps had great charts..especially opening tunes.

Favorite senior corps of all time: Caballeros

Favorite junior corps: Madison Scouts

Favorite single year: 1975 Muchachos

Favorite Tune: Bally Hoo March: Royal Airs

Favorite Uniform: Kilties

corpsreps has about 12 shows with Theme from Patton in it. Only one I've heard is Pittsburgh Rockets Sr corps from 71/72. Powerful chart which actually started with a fanfare of "Duetchland Uber Alles" which must have made a lot of WWII vets do a double take.
The theme from "Patton" was Hawthorne's color-pre in 1972. It began with a very effective lone soprano as in the opening to the first scenes in the film, and built to a powerful concertized ending. Another excellent Larry Kerchner/George Tuthill chart. Unfortunately I sat out that season and never had the opportunity to play it.

:beer:

I remember both of these..from the Racine exhibition show right before Legion in Chicago..I bought a CD of that show, and maybe they changed it, but Cabs didn't have a sop feature at the beginning of 'Patton'....and the Rockets used the echoing bugle effect as they went backfield..The 'Deutchland Uber Alles' effect was the first 2 phrases of the song..although it kinda sounds like DUA.

I listen to both of those shows a lot..including 72 Cru from the same show. :worthy::beer:

Pat

:ph34r:

I remember both of these..from the Racine exhibition show right before Legion in Chicago..I bought a CD of that show, and maybe they changed it, but Cabs didn't have a sop feature at the beginning of 'Patton'....and the Rockets used the echoing bugle effect as they went backfield..The 'Deutchland Uber Alles' effect was the first 2 phrases of the song..although it kinda sounds like DUA.

I listen to both of those shows a lot..including 72 Cru from the same show. :blink::blink:

Pat

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! My parents talked about the Rockets a lot. Good tune.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! My parents talked about the Rockets a lot. Good tune.

Riggie Laus....nuff said. :rock:

I can't speak for earlier in the season, but I'm pretty sure the lone soprano echo effect was in Hawthorne's version by the end. I believe it's on the DCA Finals -- recording unless it's the Rockets' version I'm recalling! If so, it certainly wouldn't be my first inaccurate recollection!

There's a good chance it was added later. Many revisions were made to that '72 show during the season. I know the opener was revamped after the season started, and the concert was changed from "Siboney" to a new version of "Sabre Dance" which we kept through the 1973 (undefeated) season.

Brigadier's Patton was 1971 arranged by Dom Del Ra

And thanks to whoever brought up the 1972 Racine exhibition... it remains one of my fondest memories in drum corps... what a night that was - for everyone.. whether on the field or in the stands...

I have an all time classic that will forever be one of the most memorable moments in all of drum corps. Not because it was great, but because it was "bust a gut" hilarious.

1981 DCA Championships........the Westshoremen come to the big climax in "Impossible Dream" and they release a flock of half dead doves that just walk around the field instead of flying. The show got delayed and the corps had to come back out and "shoo" the doves off of the field or risk a penalty.

Can you imagine the PETA crowds reaction to that if it happened today?!?!

1972 Seeing the Santa Clara Vanguard in revealing their new red tunics at a night parade downtown San Jose. It was very magical moment to see this corps transform from the old green silk blouses to whole new level.

1976 Getting my ears ripped back by the Caviliers at a preshow practice field DCI Midwest. Drum line playing sticks to the eagles. Stunned silly. I had no idea drum corps could play that loud.

1978 Finals. Kilties color guard rifle doing forward flip and dislocating his knee. Fellow rifle comes over and slams his fist down on his knee and he's back in action. Amazingly intense dedication.

Just to name a few.

Mom