Most extreme shows!

Pheonix, AZ - 2003 - it was over 100 degrees at 8pm

We actually did a little visual rehearsal on the field that afternoon, but it was just too miserable for us to stay out there for long. It was so hot that we warmed up in halfs (something we never did), and were told to bring our water bottles to the horn arc (something we never did).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last season , teal was in michigan if i rember , and had a kid get hypothermia . its the first , or one of the very few times ive herd of that happening .

It probably doesn't match up with the rest of you guys, but Riverside last year (the first one) was HELL. We performed in the late afternoon, and my dad said it actually got to 112 degrees when we went on. I think it was Jester that had a few kids sit the show out; it was just too hot to perform.

Edited by crashhelmi36

The most electrifying show I've seen thanks to weather was Madison Scouts 93 Finals. I have yet to experience a crowd reaction like that since. The combo of the Scouts, rain, and going live on PBS was unforgetable. I also remember a Santa Barbara show (was it SCV or Devils?) where the sprinklers kicked on and the corps played on. Awesome.

05 Sacramento...oh GOD, the heat during the day was killer....worst day I've spent on teh field since 84 Memorial Weekend camp.

One of our sops...Art Hood..."Man it's hot....and when a black man from Arizona says it's hot..."

Edited by 84BDsop

In 94, one of the shows in MA, just before Finals (Pittsfield, maybe?). It was on a mud-soaked baseball field, with the marching grid layed out at a severe angle to the stands (which, by the way, felt like they were about a mile away-- our staff had the best view... from the pitcher's mound.) By the time we went on, you couldn't make out any lines in the middle portion of the field. Just mud. Needless to say, our show was completely FUBAR.

Have you ever played with one of those magnetized football board games, where you flip a switch, and all the players scatter in every direction? For those eleven minutes, it felt like we were on one...

By this point in the season, we all knew our sets points (if there ever are such things in a Tony Hall show...) and form relationships pretty well, but you still need some sort of visual cues as to where the hell you are, or at least if you're facing the sideline--we just couldn't tell. (Those lines were gone too...) Best part was the 360 turnaround/wedge at the end. With no decent markings and an off-angle sideline, everyone started their crab step at slightly different angles, and the wedge became an amorphous blob, with all of us just trying to make it out alive. The whole thing was surreal. Afterwards, we were all like, "what the hell...?"

Hey I was at that show. The stands DID seem a mile away, which made putting the horns to the box a ridiculously tiny motion. The only odd thing I remember about the field was going from the grass to the dirt. I guess because we went on so early the lines must have been fine. Our show wasn't really bad that night. Well, not bad by '94 Crown standards. Not much worse than any other night.

In 94, one of the shows in MA, just before Finals (Pittsfield, maybe?). It was on a mud-soaked baseball field, with the marching grid layed out at a severe angle to the stands (which, by the way, felt like they were about a mile away-- our staff had the best view... from the pitcher's mound.) By the time we went on, you couldn't make out any lines in the middle portion of the field. Just mud. Needless to say, our show was completely FUBAR.

Have you ever played with one of those magnetized football board games, where you flip a switch, and all the players scatter in every direction? For those eleven minutes, it felt like we were on one...

By this point in the season, we all knew our sets points (if there ever are such things in a Tony Hall show...) and form relationships pretty well, but you still need some sort of visual cues as to where the hell you are, or at least if you're facing the sideline--we just couldn't tell. (Those lines were gone too...) Best part was the 360 turnaround/wedge at the end. With no decent markings and an off-angle sideline, everyone started their crab step at slightly different angles, and the wedge became an amorphous blob, with all of us just trying to make it out alive. The whole thing was surreal. Afterwards, we were all like, "what the hell...?"

We may be talking about the same place, but last summer somewhere in upstate New York there was a show in a baseball stadium and the "box" was actually on like the 40 yard line. They told us that's where the focal would be before we went on, boy was that a headache!