Most extreme shows!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a show this year where several members from 2 or 3 corps passed out and had to go the hospital. I know Cap Reg. was at the show

In 94, one of the shows in MA, just before Finals (Pittsfield, maybe?). It was on a mud-soaked baseball field, with the marching grid layed out at a severe angle to the stands (which, by the way, felt like they were about a mile away-- our staff had the best view... from the pitcher's mound.) By the time we went on, you couldn't make out any lines in the middle portion of the field. Just mud. Needless to say, our show was completely FUBAR.

Have you ever played with one of those magnetized football board games, where you flip a switch, and all the players scatter in every direction? For those eleven minutes, it felt like we were on one...

By this point in the season, we all knew our sets points (if there ever are such things in a Tony Hall show...) and form relationships pretty well, but you still need some sort of visual cues as to where the hell you are, or at least if you're facing the sideline--we just couldn't tell. (Those lines were gone too...) Best part was the 360 turnaround/wedge at the end. With no decent markings and an off-angle sideline, everyone started their crab step at slightly different angles, and the wedge became an amorphous blob, with all of us just trying to make it out alive. The whole thing was surreal. Afterwards, we were all like, "what the hell...?"

In 94, one of the shows in MA, just before Finals (Pittsfield, maybe?). It was on a mud-soaked baseball field, with the marching grid layed out at a severe angle to the stands (which, by the way, felt like they were about a mile away-- our staff had the best view... from the pitcher's mound.) By the time we went on, you couldn't make out any lines in the middle portion of the field. Just mud. Needless to say, our show was completely FUBAR.

Have you ever played with one of those magnetized football board games, where you flip a switch, and all the players scatter in every direction? For those eleven minutes, it felt like we were on one...

By this point in the season, we all knew our sets points (if there ever are such things in a Tony Hall show...) and form relationships pretty well, but you still need some sort of visual cues as to where the hell you are, or at least if you're facing the sideline--we just couldn't tell. (Those lines were gone too...) Best part was the 360 turnaround/wedge at the end. With no decent markings and an off-angle sideline, everyone started their crab step at slightly different angles, and the wedge became an amorphous blob, with all of us just trying to make it out alive. The whole thing was surreal. Afterwards, we were all like, "what the hell...?"

Good use of FUBAR right there. That is all. :blink:

Yeah, I've never quite understood the appeal of having a drum corps show at the baseball stadium in Pittsfield... the fans are soooo far away.

93 Finals-- Madison Scouts got absolutely FLOODED upon. At least their pit did. It rained all through their show, and the crowd ate them up. If the Scouts' closer had been more potent, they would have really brought down the house, like PR did later.

I cannot speak for '79; but 1980 prelims at Birmingham's Legion Field was the absolute HOTTEST conditions I have ever seen. Troop went out on the field in the middle of the afternoon when the field temps were measured at 150 degrees...I had blisters on my feet after I came off the field; and people were being cared for all over the place. (Imagine what it was like in those dark tops!)

There were pics (in DCW, I think) showing members from various corps who dropped during the shows...one soloist in particular who played their solo...and then went straight back on the turf! :blink:

I cannot speak for '79; but 1980 prelims at Birmingham's Legion Field was the absolute HOTTEST conditions I have ever seen. Troop went out on the field in the middle of the afternoon when the field temps were measured at 150 degrees...I had blisters on my feet after I came off the field; and people were being cared for all over the place. (Imagine what it was like in those dark tops!)

There were pics (in DCW, I think) showing members from various corps who dropped during the shows...one soloist in particular who played their solo...and then went straight back on the turf! :blink:

That would be 1980. I was there to ! It was 137 degrees on the field when we went on !!! Those wool coats we wore made it even worse. On a liter note, those 32 oz. ice cold beers that we had while watching the rest of the corps and waiting on scores sure hit the spot !