Most extreme shows!

Mankato Minn. was bad last year. They had to pospone the show, until the turf could cool off, I think it was in the high 130s (maybe to high?).It melted the soles, i know that. I remember hearing that a lot of Capital regiment kids went to the hospital for dehyration or something like that. They had used The cavies practice fields that day. Thats the only show I remember that they ha fire hydrants running for corps members to cool off in.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

89 Dubuque IA, Colts home show it started thunderstorming just after Colts OTL warmup. Show ended due to heavy downpour and lightning. A couple of Madison busses got stuck in the mud and had to be towed out, people from about six different corps were running and diving through huge mud slides. Total mayhem.

Phoenix, AZ 1976. We did no outdoor rehearsal at all that day (Ralph Pace would have had us practice in fire and brimstone if given the choice), but "cooler" heads prevailed. We took showers at the ballpark where the show was being held. At five in the afternoon, I remember getting out of the shower and before I could reach my towel, I had dried off and was sweating again. Show was changed to a standstill in street clothes.

Also heard tell of a show in Texas where the yard-marker pylons melted into simmering pools of orange goo. Lancer rifles got 3rd degree burns on their knees when they did the kneeling/layback spin in "Celebrate".

Rehearsal in Saratoga Springs with Avant Garde. BILLIONS of caterpillars on the practice tar behind the mall. Kids were SLIDING!! on the goop. It was like something out of a Stephen King novel. :sshh:

Upstate New York with a jacked up focal.... Buffalo, NY? Dunn Tire Stadium? Glassmen were there in 05 and it SUCKED. The hornline laid down in the ballad to do some movement... half the horns were in the infield and when they got up, it looked like Mars sneezed on the unis. Not really horiffic performance conditions, but when your uniform volunteer has to brush off almost the entire corps before encore, not a great time.

Witchta Falls last year had really bad winds through the stadium, in the opening of our show I remember watching the gaurd struggle really hard to fight the wind. I remember watching one of the new gaurd girls flag fly from her hands, trip a baritone player then kick back in her face as she tried to recover it. She was bleeding pretty bad.

Upstate New York with a jacked up focal.... Buffalo, NY? Dunn Tire Stadium? Glassmen were there in 05 and it SUCKED. The hornline laid down in the ballad to do some movement... half the horns were in the infield and when they got up, it looked like Mars sneezed on the unis. Not really horiffic performance conditions, but when your uniform volunteer has to brush off almost the entire corps before encore, not a great time.

Ahhh yes. I went to that show. I felt so bad for all of the corps who had to go on the ground on that baseball field.

Port Clinton, OH is right on Lake Erie, and therefor a hot spot for mayflies. They used to have a show there back in the DCM days, and in 1996 the mayflies were allegedly coming down like a plague. These things raining down from the skies and you can't take one step without crunching on 2 or 3 with your feet. I wasn't there in 1996, but the Glassmen were and they made an "I survived the bug show" Tshirt to sell at their souvie booth, I saw alot of people wearing it. I was there in 1993, marching, and I remember practically inhaling a mayfly in the middle of the show, then having to spit it out. Was anyone else at the mayfly show in Port Clinton in 1996?

Edited by madscout96

The US Open was always cursed with rain. Many corps got rained on over the years. My first time going to a show was a rain date. One of the original ticket holders couldn't go, so I got to take their place.

On the previous Saturday night Blue Rock got so drenched they couldn't wear their corps jackets the next day. They were given US Open T-shirts to wear with their corps pants.

Kingsmen won, they were great!

93 Finals-- Madison Scouts got absolutely FLOODED upon. At least their pit did. It rained all through their show, and the crowd ate them up. If the Scouts' closer had been more potent, they would have really brought down the house, like PR did later.

And that was the only rain all week.

'93 quarterfinals. Especially us afternoon folk. We were told 145* on field.