Dark ?

I think more than anything, people enjoy variety between the programs. I like "uplifting," too, but if every drum corps show was saccharin-sweet, they'd get old.

You gotta through some evil in there to make good really feel good. ^0^

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want Dark - look at Regiment 96. Driving, passionate, brooding. Shows described as dark also tend to have a heavy emphasis on the low brass voice, which I love (yeah, I'm biassed).

Meh, the end of Shostakovich's 5th is pretty uplifting/triumphant. The rest of the show is pretty dark, though.

Edit: I guess when I think "dark" shows I think shows that stay depressing/angry to the end: BD '95/00, Star '93. The release at the end of shows like Phantom 96 and 06 (and Ave Maria, which isn't exactly dark) kind of precludes them from being truly "dark" shows.

Edited by TSRTS13

Meh, the end of Shostakovich's 5th is pretty uplifting/triumphant. The rest of the show is pretty dark, though.

Edit: I guess when I think "dark" shows I think shows that stay depressing/angry to the end: BD '95/00, Star '93. The release at the end of shows like Phantom 96 and 06 (and Ave Maria, which isn't exactly dark) kind of precludes them from being truly "dark" shows.

Depressing/angry to the end is how I think of "Dark" as well.

I guess when I think "dark" shows I think shows that stay depressing/angry to the end: BD '95/00, Star '93. The release at the end of shows like Phantom 96 and 06 (and Ave Maria, which isn't exactly dark) kind of precludes them from being truly "dark" shows.

Good point - also, the end of PR 06 is definately triumphant in tone.

I want to add SCV 99, and 2000 to the list (I like "angry" Vanguard). While I admit that the entire shows do not necessarily fit exactly, they are very intense shows at the very least.

Question: I have never seen this Vietnam show that gets so much mention on here, but I wonder - do we qualify it as dark based on the performance of the rep and its visual presentation, or do we call it dark because of the music itself? Or, is there some ground in the middle where music that could otherwise be considered as "light" are portrayed in a rather sinister light.

star 93/cadets 93

overall minor tonality/overall major tonality

evil/good

dark(literally)/light

Trying to think of non-tie "dark" champion shows. Wondering did 96 phantom not get a consensus since it was dark? Did cadets push ahead of a historically great show in 93 since it was a "dark(ish)" show?(Don't get me wrong, LOVE 93 cadets) Hmmm..., interesting, will good always "triumph" over evil in DCI?

Question: I have never seen this Vietnam show that gets so much mention on here, but I wonder - do we qualify it as dark based on the performance of the rep and its visual presentation, or do we call it dark because of the music itself? Or, is there some ground in the middle where music that could otherwise be considered as "light" are portrayed in a rather sinister light.

The Miss Saigon show has some very dark thematic elements and music mixed with a few light moments. Much of the music is militaristic and aggressive. The show opens with the entire corps off-field in the endzone, with the exception of the battery. The battery creates an uncannily accurate sound effect of incoming helicopters while the corps charges the field and the music begins. There's a variety of musical styles and emotions, but one of the highlights is a gentle, sort of pastoral theme with the guard doing a beautiful dance with large woven-bamboo leaves. For me it always evoked a tea ceremony.. but as that section ends the helicopters return, accompanied by staccato gunfire, bombs falling, air-raid sirens, guard and horn players falling to the ground dead or wounded.. very dark and emotional. Fabulous stuff. The finale of the show has the corps moving off field with a gigantic communist flag (think 20 yard line to 20 yard-line) and the fading helicopter effect. The whole show is goosebump-city and really needs to be in the countdown broadcast one of these years.

Not all of the music is dark and aggressive. The show is filled with wonderful melodies and some fantastic atmospheric work from the front ensemble. It's a wonderful mixture of emotional highs and lows.

Never underestimate the Dark Side of the Force! ^0^

(I'm surprised no one said it yet) :laugh:

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27