Regiments musical selections for 07

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment choosing Firebird as their closer is a real good choice for their closer. As always, they have a powerful ending and what better way to end the show with that piece. I just hope the arrangement is better than some of the ones I've heard before.

Phantom's tour schedule says they're coming to Omaha this year! (Blue Stars come here too) I hope they put together an awesome show because I've never gotten to see them live before. b**bs

You guys should check out Corpsreps.com, because the last powerhouse corps like Phantom to play the Firebird was Phantom and that was in 1978.

But what about The Cavaliers?

Sorry kids, we all know that show didn't work out too well competitively. They went from 4th in 96 to 7th in 97. Whereas last time PR played Firebird they were coming off of a 2nd place finish only to finish 2nd again.

I'm not saying it couldn't blow up in their faces either. I'm just saying that the last Division I Drum and Bugle Corps to play The Firebird with any great amount of success was Phantom Regiment.

Umm...you're forgetting the Cavaliers played Firebird in the late 80s and did quite well with it.

You guys should check out Corpsreps.com, because the last powerhouse corps like Phantom to play the Firebird was Phantom and that was in 1978.

Sorry kids, we all know that show didn't work out too well competitively. They went from 4th in 96 to 7th in 97. Whereas last time PR played Firebird they were coming off of a 2nd place finish only to finish 2nd again.

I'm not saying it couldn't blow up in their faces either. I'm just saying that the last Division I Drum and Bugle Corps to play The Firebird with any great amount of success was Phantom Regiment.

From Corpsreps:

Position Score Corps Songs

5 95.100 The Cavaliers Firebird Suite

That seems pretty competitive to me.

Edited by crashhelmi36

Seriously? The last powerhouse corps to do firebird was Phantom? First off, I love Phantom. Always have, and hopefully always will. But your post compares Phantom to The Cavaliers in terms of "powerhouseness". There really is no question. 1 Championship vs. 7!

And championships aside. The 97 firebird show was great musically. What killed it in points was the visual program. So lets use corpsreps.com to compare score breakdown of The Cavaliers and Phantom for the year 1997. Keep in mind, for simplicity's sake, I'll be using GE scoring.

GENERAL EFFECT ENSEMBLE

CORPS MUS VIS TOTAL MUS VIS TOTAL

Phantom Regiment 18.8 18.9 37.7 14.4 14.0 28.4

Cavaliers 19.1 18.5 37.6 13.3 14.3 27.6

PR placed 4th and Cavaliers placed 7th. Yet Cavaliers a higher music score. Now lets compare both performances of the firebird: 97 Cavaliers and 78 PR:

GE GE GE Color Total

Brass Perc. Visual Guard GE

Phantom Regiment 10.0 10.0 7.7 1.9 29.6

While the scoring system is different. I'd say the scores are very close. So how can you say that one corps' performance is in a different league than another?

Lets also look who has gotten 7th place in the past few years.

2006: Blue Knights

2005: Carolina Crown

2004: Carolina Crown

2003: The Bluecoats

2002: The Bluecoats

2001: The Crossmen

2000: Phantom Regiment

I'd hardly say that the realm of 7th Place is bad company. All of these corps are capable of delivering amazing musical performances, so why would 1997 be any different?

*off soapbox*