Your most emotional reaction

What was the most emotional reaction to any performance that you have witnessed in this activity? I don't mean tearful (although that can be included)..but visually or aurally overwhelming, surprising, even shocking?

I will get it started...

1984...DCI Whitewater prelims

I had caught at least 2 shows a year since my marching year (1980) and had kept up with Garfield's progression up the ladder and the amazing drill of the late George Zingali (and experiencing him at one show right behind me exorting the corps from the stands..unforgettable). I saw both the Rocky Point shows and was thrilled by Mass...but it did not prepare me for WWStory.

The Overture literally almost gave me a heart attack. I was sitting on the 12th row; dead center on the 50. This corps was going SO FAST; and tight intervals, striding (sometimes backwards) almost touching foot-to-foot. I was expecting a train wreck of historic proportions right on the spot (and history records that it did happen that night..).

I was literally out of breath and breathing hard...and I still had my clothes on! :drool:

But what had also shocked me was the complexity of the music. I could not believe what I was seeing. At the end of the opener I turned around to a friend (who would march Cavies the next seasons) and said...

"This show will change the activity forever!"

And that was the opener!

Little did we know...

OK...your turns, and please, keep it clean! :)

Edited by prodigal bari

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2005, "the" hit in Liquid, at the Powder Springs, GA, show on June 23, 2005.

I envision my life as in two parts: before that moment and after that moment.

:drool:

2 shows brought out emotionin me. Amazingly enough they were from a corps I did not march with.

2006 Phantom Regiment :drool: that show was amazing. The last 4 minutes bring me to tears. The drill was a little sloppy..but the music. Oh MY GOD THE MUSIC of that show, well lets just say my girlfriend wishes she could have brought that kind of reaction out of me....lol ^0^

Also another show that brought emotion from me was from the 1983 Phantom Regiment.

I had never heard of Drum Corps before, I could not believe what I was seeing. I did not know that you could do that on a football field.

Then it happened, I was watching The finals in Miami on PBS and out came Phantom. Just looking at them, I knew this was going to be an amazing show. They looked so intense and tough. I don't remember what they played, all I remember was when there performance finished the on field camera did a close up of a baritone player and this bead of sweat rolled down her face. And you could just tell that she wanted to jump out of her skin. The crowd was going nuts and she was standing at attention not moving and with this look of extreme intensity.

All I know after seeing that, was I had to be in DRUM CORPS.

June 28, 2000 in Duncan SC. Cadets came out with that magnificent Millennium Celebration show. I had never seen anything like it. I was literally having multiple corpsgasms. "Oh my God" "Wow" and lots of head shaking in disbelief. That to this day was the most amazing show I've ever seen.

27th Lancers.... I forgot which year it was, but there was a year that they started out the show and the closing # was not Danny boy.... On the last show of the year, the turned around backfield still apparently playing the orignal closer and then the faintest hint of Danny boy started.... The entire crowd was breathless, i was crying and when they turned around full bore playing Danny Boy, there wasn't a dry eye in the stands.

27th Lancers.... I forgot which year it was, but there was a year that they started out the show and the closing # was not Danny boy.... On the last show of the year, the turned around backfield still apparently playing the orignal closer and then the faintest hint of Danny boy started.... The entire crowd was breathless, i was crying and when they turned around full bore playing Danny Boy, there wasn't a dry eye in the stands.

You might get the 1980 27th lancers show if you search "27th Lancers" on youtube. maybe.

You might get the 1980 27th lancers show if you search "27th Lancers" on youtube. maybe.

The 80 show (at least the opener and closer) is on youtube...

And...I thought they played DB thru the 80 season, but I am not entirely sure now...and we went to most of the same contests!

I am now officially frightened.. :worthy:

Edited by prodigal bari

Actually, it was later...either 81 or 82...we used to go to the same shows in 1980.

The 80 show (at least the opener and closer) is on youtube...

The 1980 27th Lancers played "Irish Tune" at the end of their show. Soft at first, then a company front big hit, etc, etc. They may have done it more than just that year, but they did do it in 80.

July 5, 2004 SCV in San Diego. I literally remembered the bleachers vibrating a little bit. My body was covered in chills the whole time, changed my life forever. It was my first real drum corps show, the other one I was trying to be a cool band kid so I didn't really pay attention.