Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

Nick,

I recognize that you say that this post is not a knock on the cavaliers, however it seems to me that everything you are disgusted about - "long breaks"; "breaks for the horn players at just the right time"; "musical phrases for the hornline just long enough to receive credit, but too short to really tire them out" - to me, that is good show design. I've already posted on this topic before, but demand without effect is pointless and poor design. And while the box might have been easier than, say, Vanguard 2003, I think they made up demand in Wired and the last piece.

One other reason that this design team is so great, besides the ones that have already been given, is that they learn and adjust from the shows of the previous years. They'll go from years like 2001, where they push the limits of the corps, and then go to 2002 where the demand might not have been quite as high, but the effect was through the roof. Same thing happened from 03 to 04. There was a similar swing from 2005 to 2006, although not in terms of demand, both were pretty high, but in terms of challenging the corps to achieve in areas it previously hadn't (jazz/swing) to reclaiming a familiar identity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. I have to pretty much agree with most of what you said with regard to it being good GE. It just happenes to be my preference to prefer shows that are balls to the wall for 11.5 minutes, or at least long chunks of it. Shows like phantom (this year especially), or the cadets openner this year where they played and marched basically continuously the entire time generally appeal to me more. I even liked the blue devils more than usual this year, because it seemed like they played longer phrases musically, though they may have suffered for it competitively. In relation to some of the cavalier shows you mentioned - Ive always had a soft spot for 2003, because i look at that show and think '#### thats hard', even though the show beat mine by about a tenth. I guess after watching and being in corps for a while I just tend to see through certain ploys, and appreciate different things than other people...just mho

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo, you don't have to kiss mr Fielder <**> Oh mr fielder, you use such unflawed logic :worthy: . I still say the numbers will go down. Anybody can come up with numbers to prove or disprove any point. Take the number of corps that were around with the 126 max number. Now count the number of corps left after the 135 member number came into play. See, any numbers you can come up wth doesn't mean that they are correct. In this case Mr. Fielder you and I will have to agree to disagree. Good luck with your corps this year.

I agree that Mr. Fielder has done a lot for corps overall, but at the same rate so has Mr. Hopkins. So with that reasoning we should have electronic keyboards, saxaphones, and other band gear. I mean no disrespect in my thoughts to any director. I just have some serious reservations and sometimes the numbers just don't add up.

talking about slow shows... I'm not sure, but the cadets' 05 drum solo was all done at probably 100 bpm and they march a pretty big part of that show at that speed...

Umm...it was at 220 bpm. The drumline was always at that tempo, while the hornline spent a short time at 110. Just to clarify...

Boo, you don't have to kiss mr Fielder <**> ...

Why the raw bitterness over a simple compliment?

I agree that Mr. Fielder has done a lot for corps overall, but at the same rate so has Mr. Hopkins. So with that reasoning we should have electronic keyboards, saxaphones, and other band gear.

You DO, if you're in a marching band. What does that have to do with anything? :worthy:

Cavaliers are succeeding because they know how to play the game on and off the field. So do most of the other top corps (it's not like there's been no competition the last 7 years). The guys who decide to audition there do so because something in the organization appeals to them. I should note that the Cavaliers were also marching full or nearly full corps back when 9th, 10th, and 11th place finishes were the end results, so it's not like the corps' appeal is a recent phenomenon.

To say that the current membership is made up of ring-chasers is a total mis-perception; in my conversations with the guys, I usually find that they're less concerned with kicking everyone else's butts than the alumni are (maybe it's just projection on our part from our own days). They want to have fun by doing the best work they can. The victories are a byproduct of that attitude, not the focus of their lives.

Okay, it's a bit naive to say that people don't go to the Cavaliers to get a ring in larger numbers than ever before. Yes, they had a full corps when they were in 9th and 10th - as do nearly all top 14 corps, BUT the type of person marching there is not necessarily the same.

The corps has won 5 championships in 7 years - the ring chasers will flock like moths to a flame. Now, it's up to the staff as to whether or not they get in though.

It's really easy for a current member to say he doesn't care about winning....while he is winning. I know more than a few guys that lost a grand total of 3 or 4 shows over the course of 2 or 3 seasons. I guess it makes sense not to worry about winning, when you never lose. :)