Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

While I do agree that people MAY go to the cavaliers in search of a ring (the odds are certainly in their favor lately), I doubt it makes up more than a small percentage of their membership. Speaking from the point of view of someone who has won, though not as much as them, I can honestly say that greatest thrill in the year we won was NOT at finals night, nor was winning what made that special. In fact, of the years I marched, the winning year was not my favorite by any means. I may be different than most people, but for me, every year has its own value and meaning, and only a small percentage of that was tied to winning.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, it's a bit naive to say that people don't go to the Cavaliers to get a ring in larger numbers than ever before. Yes, they had a full corps when they were in 9th and 10th - as do nearly all top 14 corps, BUT the type of person marching there is not necessarily the same.

The corps has won 5 championships in 7 years - the ring chasers will flock like moths to a flame. Now, it's up to the staff as to whether or not they get in though.

It's really easy for a current member to say he doesn't care about winning....while he is winning. I know more than a few guys that lost a grand total of 3 or 4 shows over the course of 2 or 3 seasons. I guess it makes sense not to worry about winning, when you never lose. :)

I agree with some of what you are saying. I'm sure there are some ring chasers in any top 3 corps.

Attitude is a big part of making a top corps, in some cases as much or more so than talent. If some of those ring chasers don't have the right attitude or work ethic, think it's "easy" to get a ring there, they may be some of the first ones cut.

Attitude is a big part of making a top corps, in some cases as much or more so than talent. If some of those ring chasers don't have the right attitude or work ethic, think it's "easy" to get a ring there, they may be some of the first ones cut.

I would agree with that - but would also mention that from what I've seen in this thread, the Cavaliers seem to prefer talent first.

I'm not saying that the entire corps is full of ring chasers, or even that it's a popular attitude, but that it would be delusional to say that it isn't present. A better argument would probably be that people may go there for a ring, but as they experience the process they begin to understand that it is about much more than that.

There are many hundreds of kids auditioning for corps who don't go anywhere when they don't make their favorite corps. Increasing the membership size is NOT going to deprive any corps of additional members. We could lower the membership cap and we would still have kids being cut who don't go anywhere...in fact, we would have MORE kids not going anywhere because they sure wouldn't be in the corps they wanted to be in.

Factors such as rising costs for staffs and insurance, substantially increased costs of attending college and the need for more kids to work during the summer, etc. have been a lot more responsible for the decrease in numbers of corps than raising the membership caps.

I wish the kids that got cut went somewhere else, but even if they did, there wouldn’t be enough corps to take in everyone. I'd love to see more corps for everyone. I'd love to see everyone in a corps who wants to be in one. I'd love for DCI to worry about how they would schedule all the new corps into shows. I want every youth to have the chance to march and have the life-changing experience I had.

Also, why not just do both? Why not try 16th note runs while dashing at a 4 to 5?

And if you're going to throw a Bergenfield remark at me, I'll refer to them. Look at the crazy drill move from 95. Awesome visual while playing a ####load of notes.

By the way, is this drill move you're talking about the one at the end of Blowing Off Steam?? (before swing swing swing begins)

Honestly, raising the number of members is really just a symptom of our society. It is reminiscent of the proposal to only announce the champion, or to not announce caption awards. Everyone has this mindset that we can all be winners...well, sorry but that's not how life works. Some people will win, many many more will lose.

It is only normal for people to want to be part of the elite - but the elite is outstanding because they are different from the majority. I'm not heartless - but in a sense, we are making the accomplishment of making a top corps slightly less significant by allowing more people to do it. We were at 128, then 135, now 150...where does this slippery slope end? The facts are that not everyone can march in the top 3, and that anyone outside the top 6 will have a hard time fielding a 150 person corps.

Yes, they may be able to find the additional bodies to fill out the corps - but the issue is whether the talent is there. LOTS of people audition without any real intention of marching in the corps. The increase in membership will only hurt the lower corps, and less financially stable corps, in the end.

We're not the only activity this is true in. It is universal in sports. Look at the NCAA tournament when it comes around - all but one of the best teams will end their season with a loss - or any other play-offs for that matter.

This is a request for an honest discussion on how the Cavaliers came to dominate DCI. I recognize that they have been a very competetive corps for a long time, but their rise and current prominance is really startling. I know the Cadets and BD had runs as well, but 5 championships in 7 years is astounding.

So, my questions are:

How did the Cavaliers rise to the top, and how have they maintained it since 2000?

What do they do differently that other corps are not, or refuse to, right now?

[i'm looking for something a little more tangible than - "They march real good."]

Um 'cause they're really really good. And they haven't stooped to using amplified voice yet.

OOPs, they used an amplified guard last year. A fantastic use too, if there is such a thing.

There are many hundreds of kids auditioning for corps who don't go anywhere when they don't make their favorite corps. Increasing the membership size is NOT going to deprive any corps of additional members. We could lower the membership cap and we would still have kids being cut who don't go anywhere...in fact, we would have MORE kids not going anywhere because they sure wouldn't be in the corps they wanted to be in.

Factors such as rising costs for staffs and insurance, substantially increased costs of attending college and the need for more kids to work during the summer, etc. have been a lot more responsible for the decrease in numbers of corps than raising the membership caps.

I wish the kids that got cut went somewhere else, but even if they did, there wouldn’t be enough corps to take in everyone. I'd love to see more corps for everyone. I'd love to see everyone in a corps who wants to be in one. I'd love for DCI to worry about how they would schedule all the new corps into shows. I want every youth to have the chance to march and have the life-changing experience I had.

I agree with you to a point Mike, but there's also the problem as lower tiered div 1 organizations being used as 'feeding' or 'training' grounds for the higher corps. Opening up the size of div 1 corps not only further alienates the lower corps from being competitive, it will probably also mean less kids in the lower corps, as there will be more opportunity for them to move 'up'.

In my opinion, it could very well be the last blow to corps already struggling to be competitive, hurting their revenue from shows (yes higher placing corps do make more per show than lower corps). Less money, less likelihood of being able to afford expensive show designs, less likely to attract more kids.

Kids at shows will see a 150 member corps and possibly 50 member corps and there's not going to be any question as to where they're going to want to march. And there's no way for the 50 member corps to recover.

Just my opinion from having been on both sides of the spectrum.

::edited for spelling::

Edited by megan_marie15

OOPs, they used an amplified guard last year

They did? I'm not sure what you mean?