Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

since when has their current design team been together. i believe bertman came in 01, but that's about all i know.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have an amazing staff that works well together.

somehow they make the most of their rehearsal time, regardless of conditions.

once you hit that successful level, everyone wants to be a part of it, so you get more auditionees. Alot of younger members will march another corps, just to get experience so they can make the Cavies at a future time.

I think they really treat the guys well too at the Cavaliers. I don't hear of many kids leaving Cavies to march another corps. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I hear it less about them than anyone else.

Honestly though, I think anything that I have said here, can be said about Cadets and Blue Devils as well. The only reason I can't say the same about SCV is all of the staff turnover the last few years.

If you look at the shows, there does seem to be a huge difference between 2000 and 2001. I think 2000 was much more of a 90s show, while 2001 really reflected the beginning of the complete conceptual/original design approach that everyone is mentioning.

Honestly though, I think anything that I have said here, can be said about Cadets and Blue Devils as well.

[i would like to inject PR in there as well]

That's what confuses me though, the rest of the top 4 seem to have all of the same ingredients, just different approaches to design.

It has something to do with their laidback demeanor at retreats and the tossing of Jolly Rogers at other corps.

If you look at the shows, there does seem to be a huge difference between 2000 and 2001. I think 2000 was much more of a 90s show, while 2001 really reflected the beginning of the complete conceptual/original design approach that everyone is mentioning.

While 2001 is all geared (no pun intended) around a concept stated in the show "Four Corners", I think 2000 was just a conceptually driven. There's a TON of layers of stuff going on in that show.

It has something to do with their laidback demeanor at retreats and the tossing of Jolly Rogers at other corps.

Now don't go bringing evil shennanigans into this - I was trying to be nice. :)

However, I have heard that in 2000 the Cavaliers spent a lot of times at pools/waterparks. In fact, BD and the Cavaliers are known for having a much more laid back approach. However, I have always wondered if those corps simply had a higher average talent level and could afford to do such things.

Hmm...is their laid back demeanor a key to their success, or a byproduct of very talented members that don't have to work quite as hard to achieve their maximum level of performance. My bet is on a little of each.

[i would like to inject PR in there as well]

They're getting there, but haven't really dominated a period of time like Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils

As has been said before. Cadets had 4 titles in the 80's and the Blue Devils Had 5 championships in the 90's. Now the Cavaliers have 5 titles so far this decade.

Simple enough, they have a formula and it works. That formula starts with the design process and works its way to the rehearsal field. The results show up on the performance field.

A lot has to do with their members. They won, so all kinds of Champion chasers come out of the woodworks to march a winning corps. This isn't a slam, but you have to look at the members previous corps. How many came from never marching to the Cavaliers, versus came from another non contender? People like to be the best or be part of the best. If corps had to maintain a certain percentage of people from their hometown or state, you would see some serious changes in rankings. With the advent of adding more kids to be at 150 per corps, you will see even more gap between the haves and the have nots.