The 300

For the cool people that are interested - the History Channel has been running a 2 hour special on the real 300, and it is great.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the cool people that are interested - the History Channel has been running a 2 hour special on the real 300, and it is great.

Ahh, The History Channel--the one thing that I miss about television and cable!! Their stuff is usually superb. In the early years (1995-1997?) they were kind of the Hitler, Stalin, Roosevelt channel, but their programming gained such an audience that they decided to expand their offerings! Pretty cool stuff.

Kind of disappointing to see that any of you expect anything from Hollywood but fluff and buff!

Side note: Even the "good" movies aren't really all that good anymore. That's because sometime during Clinton/Bush, Hollywood skipped from entertainment into the activist business. So much for entertainment and history!

:sleeping: Please, if you look at anything long enough and with a microscope of your choice, you are bound to see what you were looking for in the first place. And how is this any different from how it ever was? Take your tin-foil hat off and just watch the movie.

Sure they ramped up some details, glossed over, or changed a few things. But do you think that Herodotus didn't tell you the story he wanted to in the first place. You are always at the mercy of the storyteller. Overall I loved it. The visuals were incredible. Critics have knocked the violence, but I thought even that was so stylized as to lose any shock value. My old greek civ professor certainly would not approve, but the overall ideas of the tale were still in place, despite the lack of a history lesson.

Keep in mind this is a Frank Miller film. The man responsible for one of my favorite

asthetic films, Sin City, which is also based on a Graphic Novel. He is not at all

about portaying historcal accuracy, but using history as the basic premise and

going from there....quite similar to what some modern Drum Corps arrangers

do. They take the source material and embellish it to create their own thing.

I was just amused that reviewers were knocking some of the lines in the movie:

"With your shield or on it"

"We will blot out the sun with our arrows"

"Then we will have our battle in the shade"

etc.

They weren't even aware that these were direct quotes from the source material. Sometimes the reviewers make me wonder why anyone cares what they have to say.

They weren't even aware that these were direct quotes from the source material. Sometimes the reviewers make me wonder why anyone cares what they have to say.

They don't need to be.

Their job, as film reviewers, is to review the material presented to them in the film.

Source material is irrelevant to a film review.

Watching it right now as a matter of fact (I missed the first hour on the first broadcast teh other day)

I work with the guys in the episode...great crew...fun to watch work out.

Some trivia:

The entire thing was shot on a sound stage with a green screen.

The shield used by Leonidas has a bull on it because the actor is from Texas...although when I first saw a picture i didn't see the horns and asked why bart simpson was on his shield.

He's also one if the funniest guys at SwordPlay...he can take "good morning" and turn it into a joke....the rest of the crew's not that far off...I often leave crying because I laugh so much when they're screwing around between runs of choreography

Xerxes....that's really the guy's hair...every time he rags on me about something, I remind him of when we were fencing foil one day and i not only disarmed him...I landed my touch before his foil hit teh ground!

You can see a lot of the same crew on "Bible Battles"....same director, in fact.

The guy who played the trainer...you should SEE him when he dresses up in pirate gear....he could double Johnny Depp as apt. Jack Spafrrow very easily....frightening...sometimes when he's driving to or from a children's party in costume, he gets a lot of double takes from other motorists.

Themisteclises, Xerxes, and the one Spartan who spoke the "fight in the shade" quote all teach Olympic style fencing to kids at SwordPlay

The guy who used the shield with the art that looks like the Kool-Aid guy has yet to be stumped on a movie quote...you can throw the most obscure qjuite out and he'll immediately give you the movie.

The shields designs were done with a magic marker....good thing those guys can stay inside the lines!