Guys in the guard, ladies in uni's

Just curious, PR has guys in the colorguard this year if I've heard right. Four in '06. This seems to be more of a trend in all corps since I marched in the mid-90's. Is that pretty accurate?

Just curious about numbers of girls in drums and brass--what are those numbers like? I'm just curious what participation is like between the sexes, if there are more ladies getting involved, or if the trend is towards more guys with the guard situation.

Been away for a while--interested to hear what's happening. This thread is not meant to infer or admit bias--just curious about raw numbers. Not sayin' nuthin!

Edited by silvertrombone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been alot more girls in the battery section of corps lately. Cadets 2005 had a kick ### snare line, center snare was a girl.

As far as guard goes I couldn't say.

But the trend of girls in the drumline has increased recently.

-As mentioned above ther was the girl in Cadets snareline in 02, 03, and 05 (center). She was/is also in the snareline at UMass.

-Boston has a really good girl on tenors.

-Cadets, SCV, and BD all each had a girl on bass.

-SCV has also had the girl on snare the last two years. I don't think she aged out so I'm guessing she'll be back again this year.

-I think Bluecoats may have had a girl on the end of the snareline in 05?

-And I believe Crown had a girl on snare this past year.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

As for girls in the brass section....there have been some superb players such as Amy Frost on trumpet with SCV. You're probably not going to see alot of girls marching contra because of the sheer physical strength required. But for a typical corps I would estimate anywhere from 10-15 girls in the brassline. Probably more in some corps.

Edited by AQFlamDrag

Don't forget about the Kiwanis 4 girl 1 guy bassline they had for 2 years, along with a girl on snare.

And I'd say that in the brass, there are more guys but there are usually more than the previously mentioned 10-15 girls in a brass line. Guards I've seen everything from 50/50 to all either direction. Just varies from different corps I guess.

From what I remember, Phantom's guard was always all female until 2005, when they added the one guy to be "Gene Kelly" so to speak.

Cadets used to be all female until 1988 and has had guys since.

Santa Clara has guys in 87, 88, and then didn't have any until 1997.

Glassmen have seemed to always have guys

Blue Knights usally have a few.

Southwind had guys this year.

Mandarins have had guys since 2001.

Not sure about now, but when I marched there were a good number of girls in the hornline. If I had to guess I would say probably 1/5 of the hornline was girls. I know in 89 we had 4 or 5 girls in the baritone line alone.

I can't recall any girls in the battery while I was there.

Totally forgot about the guy in Cadets 1987... Sorry!

I don't like it when the guys in the guard where a different uniform style (ie pants when girls are in skirts) than the girls.

It's distracting to me.

They don't have the girls in the hornline/drumline where skirts.