Question About Attracting a New Fanbase

My guess is that they look at current and recent band members as their key audience.

This would apply to 2012 as well, unless they change their marketing direction.

It's also the right audience to target, IMO.

But the key part to my question is, how long does DCI expect to hold those band members as DCI "consumers"... (had to throw in a marketing term as this is marketing :laugh: )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, which is more attractive to a high-school band member?

Singing, talking, and electronic instruments?

Or loud, beautiful, exciting brass and percussion performances with mind-boggling drill? The only way to get anyone hooked on the activity is that unique drum corps sound. When I first heard it, it was unlike anything I'd ever heard in my life. I want it to stay that way.

So do I, but I'm a single man with little disposable income and no band kids in my family. I am not what DCI would call "a desirable marketing target." So, screw 'em.

My question is if DCI thinks it will keep these current HS'ers as long term fans ot will have to keep finding a new set every few years. IMO, DCI is going thru changes faster now than ever before. Perhaps someone finding corps in 2007 will look at it in 2012 or so and say "this isn't the DC I remember" and leave.

It'll be like bubble gum pop music. They call it bubble gum pop because what do you do with bubble gum? You chew it until it loses it's flavor, then you spit it out, never to be chewed by anyone again. And it has no nutritional value.

The Backstreet Boys played to arenas packed with 20,000 screaming pre-teen girls and their moms a decade ago. Do they have an audience now? No, because those girls grew up and the Backstreet Boys don't appeal to the current generation of pre-teen girls like their replacements do (Chris Brown, maybe? I don't know). And the Backstreet Boys were someone's replacements, too. They replaced New Kids On The Block. They don't have an audience anymore, either.

Pop music has to constantly come up with a product that is marketed towards a young demographic, and then when they grow up and stop being consumers of that product, they start from scratch and come up with a different product to market towards the newest crop of consumers. Does DCI really want to have to do that? Constantly change itself so that it can be "cool" enough for young band students to like?

It'll be like bubble gum pop music. They call it bubble gum pop because what do you do with bubble gum? You chew it until it loses it's flavor, then you spit it out, never to be chewed by anyone again. And it has no nutritional value.

The Backstreet Boys played to arenas packed with 20,000 screaming pre-teen girls and their moms a decade ago. Do they have an audience now? No, because those girls grew up and the Backstreet Boys don't appeal to the current generation of pre-teen girls like their replacements do (Chris Brown, maybe? I don't know). And the Backstreet Boys were someone's replacements, too. They replaced New Kids On The Block. They don't have an audience anymore, either.

Pop music has to constantly come up with a product that is marketed towards a young demographic, and then when they grow up and stop being consumers of that product, they start from scratch and come up with a different product to market towards the newest crop of consumers. Does DCI really want to have to do that? Constantly change itself so that it can be "cool" enough for young band students to like?

You mean like what American Idol is now (or any "reality" show). They have to keep reinventing themselves to make them attractive to the market. Yet for some reason drum corps did very will for decades without any real need to change. Yeah it was a nitch market then, and it's still a nitch market.

:laugh:

The funny thing is, DCI pretty much established itself with perfect instrumentation rules and show design trends by the late '80s that would appeal to the entire audience, no matter their age, and wouldn't have to keep changing itself to retain this audience appeal. I generally am not opposed to B-flat instruments, but in hindsight I think the switch was bad because it allowed for even more changes to detract from this. Just like I'm not against an amped pit, but I wish amps had never been introduced because they allow for voice, and soon, electronic instruments, and after that, woodwinds. If DCI had stayed on G, I'm pretty sure there would be no amps or electronics or woodwinds. The B-flat switch marks the first major rule change of the activity, in my opinion, not because it was so significant itself but becaue it ushered in a new era of liberalism regarding the structure of the activity.

The funny thing is, DCI pretty much established itself with perfect instrumentation rules and show design trends by the late '80s that would appeal to the entire audience, no matter their age, and wouldn't have to keep changing itself to retain this audience appeal. I generally am not opposed to B-flat instruments, but in hindsight I think the switch was bad because it allowed for even more changes to detract from this. Just like I'm not against an amped pit, but I wish amps had never been introduced because they allow for voice, and soon, electronic instruments, and after that, woodwinds. If DCI had stayed on G, I'm pretty sure there would be no amps or electronics or woodwinds. The B-flat switch marks the first major rule change of the activity, in my opinion, not because it was so significant itself but becaue it ushered in a new era of liberalism regarding the structure of the activity.

Golly..you know so much..you must have been involved for yea...err..nevermind.

That couldn't be more wrong

Personally speaking, I had more disposable income in high school than I do now and I’m 26! I think DCI has it right. My entire high school band went to finals just about every year. It helped that we were somewhat centrally located.

Absolutely - HS kids have a lot more money to spend than people in college/ grad school students.

"Hook 'em while they're young."