What do you really want out of DCI

And about the "applause" thing... I'm not trying to justify anything based on applause. Triplefunk said that applause was a validation for shows. He said, "I think the applauding is showing what they the general audience is approving or not." I'm simply refuting his point. If indeed the general audience had liked all of the vocals and amps and narration and Red Queen and PsychoBunny, there'd have been more applause. As it stood, there was not. Many took all of the work that The Cadets did using the newly minted rules, and found it distracting, covering up great drum corps.

Applause is not the be all and end all of justifications, folks.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Information obtained from tax filings at the following link: http://tfcny.fdncenter.org/990_pdf_archive..._200510_990.pdf

I guess I would like to see DCI spend their profits a bit more wisely. It's hard to find in the filings, anywhere where it states what monies are returned to the corps, if any. I see that the administrative staff and directorship of DCI are paid handsomely. With over 2 million dollars in rollover assets each year (which is pretty consistent), a staff budget of over 1 million dollars (including benefits), and nerely 1.6 million in (mystery) "other program expenses" one must wonder who's policing these spending issues and why some of those funds aren't being used for programs and services that grow the drum and bugle corps activity and not just DCI.

Why not focus more on internships, or more staff with a lighter workload for lesser salaries? Why not set up a program to assist in new startup corps (seeding)? Why not offer programs that council and/or assist corps in financial duress? Why not negotiate contracts for lesser expensive venues (4.2 million in venue expenses in 05)? Why not cut back on the posh hotels and big wig shin digs? I understand that the employees of DCI work VERY VERY VERY hard for the pay they get. I get it. I just don't agree with it. Do what's best for drum corps, the fan$ and the future membership and not JUST what's best for DCI......... please :)

Did someone mention to you that DCI is:

*moving to the least expensive metro area in the country

*making finals stationary to not spend time and effort on locating a moving finals event

*posted 6 internships for the summer

*has this thing called Division2/3

*negotiates better deals at every major stadium it goes to

I don't think you give credit where credit is due...

At least the Cadets aren't afraid to take a chance.

I agree with you there. But if you take a chance and you fail, don't go the same route the next time, which is unfortunately what the Cadets are doing. :( But I try not too mention them too much around here because it never ends well.

I agree with you there. But if you take a chance and you fail, don't go the same route the next time, which is unfortunately what the Cadets are doing. :( But I try not too mention them too much around here because it never ends well.

Well, they won the whole thing in 05.

Oh, please...you have no way of knowing that at all, so cut with the righteousness.

And you have no way of knowing your ridiculous claim that drum corps would have competely died out without DCI. Talk about righteousness!

There are at least seven other ways the junior corps scenario could have played out.

And you have no way of knowing your ridiculous claim that drum corps would have competely died out without DCI. Talk about righteousness!

There are at least seven other ways the junior corps scenario could have played out.

Seven? Are you with the Renegades or something?

Local-based drum corps were failing left and right when DCI started...with fewer and fewer springing up to take their place. Not due to DCI's existence...we've gone over this before. DCI saved what little there is.

Might it have gone another way? I guess...what are these seven you mention? Fact....it didn't.

Personally, I will take the thousands of competitive bands along with the the existing corps...more kids participate in marching/music than ever.

Seven? Are you with the Renegades or something?

Heh - no, just how the numbers worked out.

Local-based drum corps were failing left and right when DCI started...with fewer and fewer springing up to take their place.

Is this your theme for the week - blame the local corps?

In case you didn't notice, national-level drum corps were also failing when DCI started - also with fewer replacements over time.

Not due to DCI's existence...we've gone over this before.

Yes, we have. You dismissed the facts then, and I don't expect you to change course now.

DCI saved what little there is.

By deciding to serve only 25 21 out of the much larger number of units competing? And ever since, the activity's population has been dropping toward that asymptote.

Might it have gone another way? I guess...what are these seven you mention?

Just off the top of my head:

1. They could have continued as they had been, allowing the veteran's organizations to establish their major championship contests, and lobbying them for rule changes.

2. Other major contests (World Open and U.S. Open chief among them) might have taken the lead. For example, the Drum Corps News/Fleetwood team, which ran World Open, obviously were capable of operating several major events, could provide other services in-house (PR, recording production, media sales), and had established working relationships with judging associations.

3. One or more of the judging associations could have taken the lead, taking stewardship of the rule-making and/or judge assignment process for some number of significant shows.

4. The regional circuits could have taken the lead, coordinating schedules with each other and allowing the existing "national" contests, judging associations and other services to continue as they had prior to DCI.

5. With the fuel crisis just around the corner, any delay in action might have led to a different outlook on touring among the top corps. Thus, even the formation of one central organization, had it occurred during escalating fuel costs in the mid-late 1970s, might have taken a different shape with more emphasis on regionalization and limiting touring.

6. One of DCI's founding principles was to create their own judging association, which the member corps would control. Back in 1972, this issue was the one stirring the greatest controversy. What if instead, the new circuit simply contracted with existing judging associations (more than one, perhaps) to provide a sufficiently varied pool of judges for their shows?

7. Saving the best for last - what if a new organization had been created to serve more than just the top 12 25 21? What if "membership" and it's corresponding benefits (and responsibilities) hadn't been limited to such a small percentage of the activity?

Personally, I will take the thousands of competitive bands along with the the existing corps...more kids participate in marching/music than ever.

Good for you. But your gratitude is misdirected. DCI didn't create those marching bands. Thank the schools, and the government for directing our tax dollars their way. (Seriously, thank them before they start making budget cuts.... :rolleyes: )