What I DON"T miss about Drum Corps

1. Chiggers

2. Fire Ants

3. Sand Burs

4. Fields with no grass (and the ensuing dust storms)

5. Using marching band rehersal fields at schools that were lined with deisel to kill the grass, rather than using paint

6. Busses with no bathrooms, no a/c, and broken windows that leaked when it rained

7. Boat people

8. Hurry up and wait

9. Olive loaf for lunch - again, and again, and again (gotta love those discount meats)

10. Leftovers working their way into subsequent meals

11. Busses that got stuck in gear and grinding gears when trying to sleep

12. Bus feet

13. Losing BCI every time

14. "The Game" after dark

15. Staff saying "One More Time!" (for about the umpteenth time)

16. Sun burn on top of sun burn

17. Burned feet from standing on an astroturf field in a day show and waiting for the "On the field....." announcement

18. 130+ degree field temperaturs on astro turf

19. Retreat at day shows in the South

20. Passing out at retreat at day shows in the South

21. Cold showers, showers that remove flesh, showers that cannot rinse, clogged drains, no hot water, shower heads that are chest high, and facilities with 2 shower hears for the entire corps

22. Staying at schools in the South with no a/c and cockroaches the size of rats, gyms with brids dropping dung everywhere

23. Brown water, water that smells and tastes like sulfur, and tea from H-E- double hockey sticks

24. The smell of uniforms after a couple of shows

25. Freezing cold rain in Colorado

26. Rehersing in the rain, then the sun comes out and everything is nice and steamy

27. Marching on a wet astroturf field when the sun comes out again

28. Kansas

and many, many more

Man, all some people do is complain! :P

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't miss heat rash under the harness.

Hearing the words CLEAN and NOT CLEAN over and over and over and over and over and...

Hearing the words CLEAN and NOT CLEAN over and over and over and over and over and...

Hearing the drum line play CLEAN and NOT CLEAN over and over and over and over and over and...

Having to say CLEAN and NOT CLEAN over and over and over and over and over and...

:blink:

Gyms with emergency lights that always stay on right over your sleeping bag

:blink: that was me during madison championship week...#### the red light.

then there was the school with 1 shower...it flooded the entire locker room and we had to clean it...twice...my best friend sliped and fell...haha but that was funny..the falling part not the cleaning part.

and last the perverted random guys who would watch the guard practice...um gross

I don't miss having to sit down all day while everyone else gets to stand. :P :blink:

Timpanists...

I remember ending the '97 show a couple feet from the front sideline, on the 50. After run-thru I'd look at the guy on timpani and thinking "you lucky *******".

Then I aged out, joined the Cascades support staff, and hauled pit gear up and down the hills at Cal State Hayward.

I am SO glad I played Euph!

I don't miss "ONE! MO! TIME!", nor do I miss post-dawn bus arrivals. And while I miss hitting the nudie bars in Montreal, I don't miss the basics block the next day.

I don't miss cleaning the gym. I don't miss retreat. I don't miss Full Corps retreat. I do miss DM-only retreat, because I'm a jerk. ^0^

I don't miss the showers, with a few exceptions. I don't miss sunburn. I don't miss marching block, but I do miss how fit I was back then.

Now, I'm struggling to think of things I don't miss, because there's too many things I do miss. I'd better end this here.