Parody in Drum Corps?

Parody in Drum Corps?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible for parody to exist one day in drum corps?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends/not sure
  2. 2. Would Parody be beneficial to DCI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/not sure
    • Other

I'm not saying that I want parity...personally I haven't been convinced one way or another where I would like it. Parity in drum corps to me would be when any corps could place anywhere in any given season. The Cadets might win one year and then finish 8th, while the Blueknights finished 10th and then broke into the top 3 the next year. I'm not saying I would like that, but I want to know if you think it will ever happen in DCI.

This is what I would like to see. It would make things a lot more exciting, IMO.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will never be parity in DCI. There are about four people who control that fact and they're not about to give it up.

That's the part I don't understand. It takes 11 or 12 votes to pass something. How is it those four control things? What gives them their power? They are only 1/3 of what is needed for decision making power. How do they get the others to go along?

There are, of course, a few different reasons why people choose the corps they end up with:

1. Distance

2. Time Commitment

3. Affordability

4. Individual's talent.

Someone will no doubt correct me, but if I were eligible to march today, I would no doubt have Boston Crusaders as my first pick. Even though they have camps in Florida, they are from near my home town, and the time spent away from school/work would be less than if I wanted to march with, say, Phantom or Crossmen. If money and time were no object, I would consider the corps' style and instruction, as well as the demographics of their membership. Perhaps I'd attend a few different open houses and see which corps "feels right" to me. Of course, a medal would be nice, but if I thought I'd get quality instruction and feel more comfortable marching with the Philadelphia Fourteenth Place Regiment than with, say, the Walla Walla Perennial Winners, I'd probably go to Philly. Just IMHO. . .

From the drum-corps-as-an-art point of view, we definitely don't want to do anything to limit the level of anyone's product, so redistributing talent/staff/money would be wrong. I think we're okay, within the next 5 years we'll have a brand new champion.

I like this

DCI could do a much better job of MARKETING the lower tiered corps to band kids, and give them REASONS to want to march in these other corps, and not just chase a ring.

But this draft thing is absurd, for many of the reason listed, but also, because many of the top shows are winning based upon design and GE, that’s due to judging. It’d be far easier to change the judging system for parity than to do a draft. Most the kids marching in the upper ranks already have parity (or are with in a narrow range of) as far as talent / skill as do many in the lower tier or other divisions; it’s just a lower concentration there. The people that are winning are writing the rules about judging and then writing the shows to max out their rules – maybe there should be a little distance there, like some independent board, another managerial level that is not so self serving but serves all. Truly independent judging that is not dictated by the corps wishes but by a more set, independent standard

Admittedly, some years a corps executes so well and above the others that design takes a back seat, Cadets 2005 for example but that is really the exceptions

I’d like more corps and the draft would work counter to that. I’d like more regional corps and shows and the draft would work counter to that – it could also kill local support, and connections, might even damage alumni ties.

Don’t worry kids, after they add electronic and wood winds, they’ll change the judging to just a rating system, corps will just get a 1, 2 or a 3. For parity, all the final corps will have 1 rating and you’ll all be winners, we’ll put off real world disappointment for you as long as possible, we know how sensitive you marching artist are

I don’t know how much parity is really needed or desired – but I do know that I’m sick of seeing the same three corps winning for the past 15 years, many other corps were fully capable and deserving of wins in that time period – I often think there is a bias that favors the top three corps based upon either their past histories, their relationships with in DCI, or their sales, as far as being more marketable products that suit DCI better by keeping them on top.

How many times is the same corps gonna be rewarded for doing basically the same kind of show, with some of the same drill and same music every year? And yet, they pretend to be cutting edge, amazing – when you first did that drill move in 91, it was on its side and made a ripple

hahaha...voted with the wrong word in mind.

There will always be dynasties in any competitive arena. I think it's pretty inevitable. Like I said earlier, unless almost everyone is predicting the winner every year, or we are predicting the correct placements 5 months before the season starts, I think DCI should stay how it is. I don't know where the Cavaliers will place, or Phantom Regiment, or the Cadets. The battle for the top 3 spots is just as interesting as the battle for the middle 3, or for the final few spots for Finals.

The rich history of these corps is what makes drum corps, IMO. It wouldn't be the same if a new corps was winning every year, and there was never some kind of dynasty at any point.

You're right, they're just as interesting. Which is, BARELY interesting. We do know where the Cavaliers, Cadets, and Phantom Regiment will place. Want me to tell you where they'll place in 2007? OK, I'll tell you: 6th or better. I can tell you where the Glassmen will place also: Somewhere between 13th and 7th. Mandarins will be somewhere between 21st and 16th. I know, bold predections, right?

Everyone may not be predicting the winner every year, but I'd guess that 1/3 of the people are predicting the winner every year (if you assume, for sake of argument, that 1/3 picks the Cavaliers, 1/3 picks the Cadets, and 1/3 picks the Blue Devils).

While more parity than there is currently in drum corps would be a good thing, I believe that if we had the same kind of parity as say the NFL we would be in trouble.

Every team in the NFL in the next 6-8 years will be out of the playoffs, and will also win their division. Except for maybe the Texans (honestly, who doesn't take Young?)

While having the Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavilers, SCV, and Phantom win every title since 91 may be undesirable in some people's minds, does anybody really want them to place like, 23rd? (other than the Hopkins haters, I'm sure they would love to see that). These are the corps that bring in the cash, they put people in the stands and make people buy the DVDs. It is detrimental to the activity not to have these corps near the top. Now I can understand the desire people have to see new champions and such, which I agree with to an extent, but to have the kind of parity that the pro sport leagues have would be bad (and basically impossible anyway).

Also, I think that slowly there is more parity seeping into DCI. Mainly because of burgeoning corps like Bluecoats and Crown.

And to people who say there is no excitement in the competition, I say hogwash. Sure you may know in general who is gonna be in finals. but their is still all kinda intrigue. Can bloo break into the top 3? Can Cadets come back from on off year? Can cavies go 6 of 8 and be the greatest dynasty in the history of DCI? can SCV stay in the top 6? Can madison's new staff return them to glory? Can Phantom be the crowd favorite AND the judge favorite (win). who knows what the devils are gonna do. Not to mention the race for the last couple spots in finals. can g-men and spirit hold of the onslaught from the colts, the blue stars and the rejuvenated crossmen?

It's like a god #### soap opera. :P

Edited by tubacurt